Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacement Struts and Shocks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I agree with the above. I am running Yaris springs in the rear, and semi custom 200 pound/inch springs in front. STOCK SHOCKS all around.

Stiffer shocks will simply make the ride harsher, you do not want stiffer shocks. I find the soft stock shocks well matched to my springs and am no longer looking to alter or experiment with suspension mods. I have no ''bouncing'' with the stiffer spring rate and much much less body roll. It actually handles well and after owning a MazdaSpeed Miata, I would say I am semi qualified (or at least I pretend to be online) to say what it harsh/soft, and what handles well or not.

I am actually quite happy with how the car now handles. Understeer is reduced and when taking a turn way too fast it handles in a very controlled manner with surprisingly little roll.
    Just to clarify, those are the OEM rear springs from an 05-13 Yaris? What would you recommend as an alternative for the front Mirage springs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    Just to clarify, those are the OEM rear springs from an 05-13 Yaris? What would you recommend as an alternative for the front Mirage springs?
    Correct on the rear yaris springs. They can be found cheap online. Try to also get the Yaris upper and lower rubber spring bushings as the yaris springs don't fit the stock bushings perfectly.

For the front I bought these http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-lbs-in-S.../292008279519?

Their total length needs to be reduced about 1 inch (perhaps 1.25 inches?) to maintain stock ride height. My initial calculations were off slightly and I did not cut mine enough so my ride height increased a bit and thus I cannot provide exact numbers.

Take equal amounts off the top and bottom using a grinding wheel (I used a drill attachment). File/sand the rough edges and coat the fresh cut with something to prevent rust if you want.

The coils are spaced very close together so that regular clamp type spring compressors wont fit between the coils. The method I used to compress the springs, and keep them compressed, was not safe, so I wont go into that publicly.

I have seen others use spring clamps on the top/bottom of the spring to compress it initially, and then use 2 equally spaced metal cam type synching straps (on the second from the top/bottom coil) to keep the spring compressed. They then remove the metal clamp type compressors, install the compressed spring, reassemble the strut, carefully loosen the straps and then slide the straps out. The straps are dangerous for many reasons, one if which is that they WILL slide down the coil (since the coil is at an angle) if not held in place with say vice grips, or they could fail all together releasing hundreds of pounds of stored energy into a 5 pound projectile. Compressed springs are no joke and can kill you.
    Last edited by ahausheer; 06-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ahauser,

I don't really recall how the front strut was made --- do you remember if you had to cut a full coil at a time or were the end stops clock-able?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Ahauser,

I don't really recall how the front strut was made --- do you remember if you had to cut a full coil at a time or were the end stops clock-able?
    The top end stop is free to rotate and that will accommodate any incremental cutting of the spring (top and bottom). Wherever you cut the bottom of the spring just line that up with it's stop in the strut, and then rotate the top stop to mate with wherever you cut the top of the spring.
    Last edited by ahausheer; 06-28-2017 at 02:12 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ahausheer For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ahausheer, did you notice any change in ride height with the Yaris rear springs? I'd actually like to gain about 1/2" in ground clearance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    Ahausheer, did you notice any change in ride height with the Yaris rear springs? I'd actually like to gain about 1/2" in ground clearance.
    No extra ground clearance as noted here - http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ks-and-springs

Just a more normal riding car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I think using the VW Beetle springs will give you a slight increase in rear height. Johnny Mullet is using them

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)