Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valvetrain clatter on start up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Valvetrain clatter on start up?

Do you all notice the mirage has about 2sec of clatter on startup? I'm sure it's just normal on this engine but does anyone notice this?
    When I change out the factory fill I will be switching to M1like I do with all my cars so I wonder if that will quiet them some.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Do you all notice the mirage has about 2sec of clatter on startup? I'm sure it's just normal on this engine but does anyone notice this?
    When I change out the factory fill I will be switching to M1like I do with all my cars so I wonder if that will quiet them some.
    It seems to be a result of which type oil filter you select over anything else. I tried a few varying brands of filters and after reading through a bunch of posts over at the BITOG forum I've been using a Fram Ultraguard with 5-30w Dexos 1 certified synthetic which has virtually eliminated the start up valve clatter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I think it is pretty standard with the 3A92 engine.

Having a oil filter with an anti-drainback valve helps reduce the valvetrain applause, but it doesn't hold all the oil in the filter so (it seems) the oil pump has to fill the filter first then there's oil pressure for the rest of the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So the factory fill is 0w20 prob too thin and/or factory filter not the best? I have M1 5w20 and a M1 filter ready to go

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    So the factory fill is 0w20 prob too thin and/or factory filter not the best? I have M1 5w20 and a M1 filter ready to go
    I don't think it's "too thin" for effective lubrication. It is thin enough I think that most manufacturers oil filter anti-drain back flap just doesn't do that great of job of preventing the filter from draining. If you haven't perused the website

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub.../forum_summary

You can deep dive into all things oils and filters. The 3A92 uses a pretty wide range of viscosities worldwide so nothing wrong with 5w20. M1 filter is rated well also. We've had a few members send their oil for analysis when they've changed it and have posted the results here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I have seen bitog before. Good site. I think we get 0w20 due to cafe. Here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think that most manufacturers oil filter anti-drain back flap just doesn't do that great of job of preventing the filter from draining.
    I think it was on BITOG that I read a discussion on the anti-drainback valves on oil filters, and that their usefulness becomes overblown.

If the filter is mounted threads-up, then the anti-drainback valve isn't really needed as the oil remains in the can by gravity. If the filter is mounted horizontally with the threads pointing to a side the oil will drain out the threaded hole anyway.

At least the valve can keep some of the oil in the filter upon startup - but it won't keep it full. As long as the 3A92 oil filter boss mounts the oil filter horizontal, I don't think it will be possible to avoid valvetrain applause upon startup.

One member installed a remote oil filter kit. I wonder if that stopped their startup noise....

Maybe I misunderstand this arrangement - please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want to start no oil filter holy-war.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    One member installed a remote oil filter kit. I wonder if that stopped their startup noise....
    Found it.

strawboss: Remote oil filter mounting kit

Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    You will come up with your own twists on this too,the nice thing is the new filter is about 3 times bigger than stock and there is no time at start up where the engine is "waiting" for oil pressure, it's just like stock.The oil filter shown is a Quaker State QS8A

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pryme, the factory filters have been difficult to remove. Some have had to resort to punching a screwdriver through the filter to break it loose. I took mine to my dealer for the free first oil change and let them deal with it.

Just be sure to apply a little oil to the filter gasket before install and this shouldn't be a problem.

Are you getting lifter noise after the car sits overnight or every time you start? I usually only start these cars once they're already warmed up or after sitting inside overnight in the shop. The only time I notice an noise is for a few seconds after an oil change. Otherwise they are pretty quiet from what I've seen. I switched from mobil 1 0w20 to cheaper klondike full synthetic 0w20 with no noticable change. I use the mitsubishi filter mz690072 on all the 15 and 17's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)