Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Valvetrain clatter on start up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah mainly overnight. Barely when warm already.

I'm going to change the factory fill soon. I have 1,600mi now and my wife's mirage has about 1,700. I have M1 5w20 and a m1 filter I had rebates on otherwise I'll just get puralator or wix.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pryme, the factory filters have been difficult to remove. Some have had to resort to punching a screwdriver through the filter to break it loose. I took mine to my dealer for the free first oil change and let them deal with it.

Just be sure to apply a little oil to the filter gasket before install and this shouldn't be a problem.
    And take the factory drain plug washer off soon while you still can do it easily and replace it. I use aluminum ones and replace them every few oil changes. No leaks or drips on any of these cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I use aluminum ones and replace them every few oil changes.
    I'm surprised you don't use Fumoto valves.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, someone would likely bottom out and tear it from the oil pan. And It'd be pretty pricey for 60 valves. If I didn't have a hoist I'd want the fumoto valves for sure. I might have to get one for my truck though, diesel oil sucks to get off your hands!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm surprised you don't use Fumoto valves.
    I something like that on an old Mighty Max once... I went to drain the oil, and the stupid plug was rounded off. I'd gotten in a hurry and had the oil changed at an Iffy Lube the previous few times, and that drain plug was pretty much a cylinder. Used a pipe wrench to get it off, and went to buy one of these drain-valve things with a hose attachment to replace it, because the local auto parts store refused to entertain the idea of matching the old drain plug up with another to see if they had something that would fit. So I went to walmart, of all places, and found what I needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No noticeable valve chatter after changing oil to M1 with M1 filter. Used 5w20.