Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 2014 ES starter issue

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts

    2014 ES starter issue

    Any Mitsubishi techs here done the tech bulletin repair, dealing with starter grinding and chewing up the flywheel? My 2014 ES is still grinding on occasion. I pulled the starter out this weekend, spun the flywheel checking for mangled teeth and checked the teeth on the starter drive. The drive teeth are fine, the flywheel was messed up a little bit in one section. Those teeth were dented inward slightly. I took a flat and a triangle file and dressed the teeth up. I noticed that the starter seems somewhat loose on the alignment dowels in the block, and I was able to move the starter up and down somewhat. Should the starter be totally tight on those dowels? Are the replacement dowels thicker, so there's no play? What's with the recommended replacement starter? How is it different from the original one? My starter # is 1810A2. Thanks in advance for any replies.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts
    Bump....

  3. #3
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    6,017
    Thanks
    1,825
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 964 Posts
    Might want to PM 3dplane on this, in case he hasn't seen this thread. I don't recall whether he's posted about seeing this issue.

    Please keep us posted on the outcome.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  4. #4
    Senior Member Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    272
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 171 Times in 95 Posts
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/google_...422j5350558j13

    Damn dude. All that and it keeps adding up. I am glad I went for the manual.
    Check out my websites................

    Geo Metro Forum
    BicyclingForum.net

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    ab
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    451
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 272 Times in 154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/google_...422j5350558j13

    Damn dude. All that and it keeps adding up. I am glad I went for the manual.
    I'd probably avoid a 14' cvt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd probably avoid a 14' cvt.
    Uhm, yeah... Me too, next time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

    Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

    These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,242
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 629 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

    Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

    These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices.
    Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you have a part number for the starter have you checked Ebay for used ones? The rest I might source from the stealership.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    354
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked 87 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you have a part number for the starter have you checked Ebay for used ones? The rest I might source from the stealership.
    Yeah, thought about that. I'm not sure if the starter mentioned in the tech bulletine is a redesigned starter or not.The bulletine recommended one is a different number from mine. Like you said, I need to try searching for the updated part number on Ebay and Car-part.com, Just wanted to kinda vent with my post here.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 08-24-2017 at 09:25 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,242
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 629 Times in 378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Yeah, thought about that. I'm not sure if the starter mentioned in the tech bulletine is a redesigned starter or not.The bulletine recommended one is a different number from mine. Like you said, I need to try searching for the updated part number on Ebay and Car-part.com, Just wanted to kinda vent with my post here.
    Completely understand! It is also my understanding that there are only two part numbers for starters. One earlier, one later. The MT and CVT use the same starter.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •