Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 ES starter issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

2014 ES starter issue

Any Mitsubishi techs here done the tech bulletin repair, dealing with starter grinding and chewing up the flywheel? My 2014 ES is still grinding on occasion. I pulled the starter out this weekend, spun the flywheel checking for mangled teeth and checked the teeth on the starter drive. The drive teeth are fine, the flywheel was messed up a little bit in one section. Those teeth were dented inward slightly. I took a flat and a triangle file and dressed the teeth up. I noticed that the starter seems somewhat loose on the alignment dowels in the block, and I was able to move the starter up and down somewhat. Should the starter be totally tight on those dowels? Are the replacement dowels thicker, so there's no play? What's with the recommended replacement starter? How is it different from the original one? My starter # is 1810A2. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Bump....

Might want to PM 3dplane on this, in case he hasn't seen this thread. I don't recall whether he's posted about seeing this issue.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/google_...422j5350558j13

Damn dude. All that and it keeps adding up. I am glad I went for the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/google_...422j5350558j13

Damn dude. All that and it keeps adding up. I am glad I went for the manual.
    I'd probably avoid a 14' cvt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'd probably avoid a 14' cvt.
    Uhm, yeah... Me too, next time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices.
    Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you have a part number for the starter have you checked Ebay for used ones? The rest I might source from the stealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if you have a part number for the starter have you checked Ebay for used ones? The rest I might source from the stealership.
    Yeah, thought about that. I'm not sure if the starter mentioned in the tech bulletine is a redesigned starter or not.The bulletine recommended one is a different number from mine. Like you said, I need to try searching for the updated part number on Ebay and Car-part.com, Just wanted to kinda vent with my post here.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 08-24-2017 at 08:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Yeah, thought about that. I'm not sure if the starter mentioned in the tech bulletine is a redesigned starter or not.The bulletine recommended one is a different number from mine. Like you said, I need to try searching for the updated part number on Ebay and Car-part.com, Just wanted to kinda vent with my post here.
    Completely understand! It is also my understanding that there are only two part numbers for starters. One earlier, one later. The MT and CVT use the same starter.