Thread: I was going to wait on wheels, but the salesman convinced me not to

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I was going to wait on wheels, but the salesman convinced me not to

I thought I did my homework and found a set of 14's to replace my bald tires at 24K. Yep, my alignment is out in the rear. Currently waiting on the service tech to get back with me after submitting my info to their warranty dept.

Anyhow, I was just going to get a little bit larger size economy tire for my stock wheels, but the sales guy told me the tire wasn't rated for that narrow of a wheel and would cause problems.

He showed me a few options to go with a wider wheel, so I bit and ended up with:

MB Icon Wheels
    15 X 6.5 4-100.00/114.30 38

Road Hugger GT
    P195/55 R15 84V M&S

The car handles so much better around corners and is way quieter than the stock tires.

Name:  WP_20170605_18_24_10_Pro.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  WP_20170605_18_23_24_Pro.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  83.5 KB
    Name:  WP_20170605_18_25_10_Pro.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  87.1 KB
    Name:  WP_20170605_18_24_53_Pro.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  96.3 KB

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirager For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-06-2017),inuvik (06-06-2017),Top_Fuel (06-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Those wheels look great!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirager View Post
    ...found a set of 14's to replace my bald tires at 24K.
    Yep, my alignment is out in the rear.
    Ouch. Your tires shouldn't be junk after 24K miles.

Currently waiting on the service tech to get back with me after submitting my info to their warranty dept.
    Keep us posted. It's an expensive repair so the dealer will need authorization before replacing your axle. Did you know you had a problem before you realized your tires were worn out?

MB Icon Wheels
    15 X 6.5 4-100.00
    This is a good, conservative wheel setup for the Mirage. You won't have any rubbing issues with it. I run the same size wheel, but use a 185-55-15 tire. For anyone wondering (like me ) I looked up those wheels online and they weigh 16 lbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey it says you are also here in Georgia. Where are you at and what dealership did you go to? I'm out in Woodstock and have been having a crappy time at Marietta Mitsubishi now that they have changed owners. It honestly looks like they are going to change from Mitsu to GMC or Chevy. Whatever their other dealership is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Hey it says you are also here in Georgia. Where are you at and what dealership did you go to? I'm out in Woodstock and have been having a crappy time at Marietta Mitsubishi now that they have changed owners. It honestly looks like they are going to change from Mitsu to GMC or Chevy. Whatever their other dealership is.
    I live in Canton, and work in Duluth. I bought my Mirage in Roswell, but took it to the dealer in Duluth, right by my work. It turns out, the same owner has both shops in Roswell and Duluth. It's GWINNETT MITSUBISHI, 3285 Commerce Ave NW Duluth, GA

When I took my car in for the alignment, they outsourced it to Kauffman Tires around the corner, as they don't have much of a workshop to do much of any type of repair.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirager For This Useful Post:

Remy (06-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Ouch. Your tires shouldn't be junk after 24K miles.

Keep us posted. It's an expensive repair so the dealer will need authorization before replacing your axle. Did you know you had a problem before you realized your tires were worn out?
    No, I hadn't been on the forum for a bit and when I was looking up wheel and tire recommendations is when I discovered the alignment issue.

This is a good, conservative wheel setup for the Mirage. You won't have any rubbing issues with it. I run the same size wheel, but use a 185-55-15 tire. For anyone wondering (like me ) I looked up those wheels online and they weigh 16 lbs.
    Yeah, I usually get around 42-44 MPG to work. This morning I got just under 40. But I must say, the handling is so much better now. Even with stock springs, simply going to a larger wheel with a lower profile tire reduced the sway/leaning to a noticeable degree. The ride is so much quieter now and considerably smoother. For all of that, I'm happy to trade for the lower MPG.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirager For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Doh about the tire replacement, but the replacements do look very nice.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Mirager (06-06-2017)