Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I'll offer my perspective.

I have a Yaris. Bought it new in 2007 and still have it (it's 10 years old this month). I've never kept a car 10 years before; before this it was three years max. However, my Yaris has probably been the best car I've ever personally owned. It's also cost me next to nothing in repairs. Any issues I had were covered under warranty. Those included a new A/C condenser, new weather stripping on the driver's side door, and a faulty clutch at 25,000 miles. (I had it replaced under warranty and for $40 I upgraded to a TRD clutch.) Other than that, it's been routine maintenance ever since. I currently have 90,000 miles on mine. Oddly, I just posted about 10 years with the Yaris on my blog site, Subcompact Culture.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...ota-yaris.html

Would I buy another? I don't think I'd fork over the $16,000 for a new Yaris, frankly. At $13,000, I was OK with it back in '07. At $13,000, I'd be OK with it in 2017. Plus, I can't find one with a manual transmission to save my life here in Oregon.

So long story short, my Yaris has been great, but I don't think I'd pay for a 2017 (and they rarely come up used with low mileage).

FWIW, I grew up with Mitsubishi. We've had at least nine since the 1980s. My mom bought a 2015 Outlander Sport a couple years ago, and I just bought an '89 Delica a month back.

I'm actually considering selling my 2013 Impreza WRX, pocketing some cash, and getting a Mirage to replace it. We'll see.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (08-24-2017),Fummins (08-23-2017),MetroMPG (08-22-2017)