Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I'll offer my perspective.

I have a Yaris. Bought it new in 2007 and still have it (it's 10 years old this month). I've never kept a car 10 years before; before this it was three years max. However, my Yaris has probably been the best car I've ever personally owned. It's also cost me next to nothing in repairs. Any issues I had were covered under warranty. Those included a new A/C condenser, new weather stripping on the driver's side door, and a faulty clutch at 25,000 miles. (I had it replaced under warranty and for $40 I upgraded to a TRD clutch.) Other than that, it's been routine maintenance ever since. I currently have 90,000 miles on mine. Oddly, I just posted about 10 years with the Yaris on my blog site, Subcompact Culture.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...ota-yaris.html

Would I buy another? I don't think I'd fork over the $16,000 for a new Yaris, frankly. At $13,000, I was OK with it back in '07. At $13,000, I'd be OK with it in 2017. Plus, I can't find one with a manual transmission to save my life here in Oregon.

So long story short, my Yaris has been great, but I don't think I'd pay for a 2017 (and they rarely come up used with low mileage).

FWIW, I grew up with Mitsubishi. We've had at least nine since the 1980s. My mom bought a 2015 Outlander Sport a couple years ago, and I just bought an '89 Delica a month back.

I'm actually considering selling my 2013 Impreza WRX, pocketing some cash, and getting a Mirage to replace it. We'll see.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (08-24-2017),Fummins (08-23-2017),MetroMPG (08-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices

******Not trying to jack this thread, but my comments go right along with the OP's concern about the cost of replacement parts. I decided to just copy/paste from another post I'd made, concerning the parts cost of a problem I'm having with my 2014. In my case, the Yaris is looking like the better choice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Well..... I started checking on the parts needed to repair the starter grinding issue on my car.

Starter $577-$1,016, depending on the internet supplier. The $1016 price was Amazon Prime.
    CVT flexplate $178
    flywheel cover $20
    Dowel alignment pins $5
    If I was to have the dealer repair it, the labor is 5.9 hours if it were a warranty job. (Which in my case, it wouldn't be under warranty) Regular retail would probably be 8-10 hrs.@ approx $100-$125 per hour. Hell, I didnt pay much more than that for the car when I bought it.

These prices are crazy expensive. I really like the car, but I'm hating the parts cost. Nothing like my Geo Metros parts prices

******Not trying to jack this thread, but my comments go right along with the OP's concern about the cost of replacement parts. I decided to just copy/paste from another post I'd made, concerning the parts cost of a problem I'm having with my 2014. In my case, the Yaris is looking like the better choice.
    I can understand why you are bummed out, Car Nut, but there is a bright side. Once you get Mitsubishi's flex plate eff-up sorted out it will be 100,000 miles of very smooth sailing. Parts are spendy, but Mirages don't need many.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd love to know WHY Mirage parts are so pricey! Is this typical of Mitsubishi, or Japanese cars in general? This is only the 2nd Japanese car I've owned.

Supply & demand is my guess.

Relatively low volume car (in N.A.), and little competition in the aftermarket.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I've got a 2014 Mirage with 65k miles. When it hits 100k my plan is to give it to my wife and get another small car. I'm leaning against the Mirage and for the Yaris because I'm afraid the repair costs are going to be very high for the Mirage from 100-200k. So far I've dodged a lot of bullets but I'm afraid my luck will run out eventually with the Mirage. I almost needed a new key for $400, luckily I found my old one. The passenger airbag sensor went out at 61k miles. Luckily the dealer cut me some slack and replaced it under warranty. That would've been $1200. My shocks feel a little mushy but they cost $500 for crappy OEMs and no one makes an aftermarket shock. I can choose from about 8 shocks from $20-60 a piece for the Yaris. I just checked on another common wear item, the AC compressor. For the OEM Mirage it's $720 compressor $333 for the condenser. I couldn't find any for the Mirage. For the Yaris it's $335 and $48 for the aftermarket! My guess is I'll spend maybe 3-5k more on the Mirage for repair costs from 100-200k. I can probably cut some costs by taking a chance on used parts but who wants to turn every car repair into a research project?

Yeah I now wish I had bought a Yaris instead. I am at 75K miles and I am having surging problems that are exactly like a fuel filter that needs to be replaced.... well the stupid people who designed the mirage built the fuel filter INTO the fuel pump (not REALLY but you have to pay $300 for a new module set without a pump) also the yaris has more horse power and a oil filter that you don't have to mod to easily reach. Also the CVT fluid has to be changed every 30k and isn't a simple drop and drain so I can replace any filter or gaskets. I work in a car shop where most of our money comes from oil changes and other fluid changes and I am regretting my brand new off the lot purchase of a car I was hoping to be able to drive 300k miles with good maintenance but I doubt now that my little meep meep mobile will even have parts that last that long or parts that I can slightly mod or even replace. It took FOREVER to find and get a tech manual for this car and will never again buy a car from mitsubishi. I will stick with a honda where if you have a rehaul and gasket kit done before 100k honda will extend your warranty for another 100k even for your engine and will do this for a grand total of 400k on the same engine.... I just hate how hard it is to find parts and the expensive CVT fluid changes as well as the lack of thought put into routine maintenance pieces and where they are placed.

Don't get me wrong I do love my car but I am sure the next time I get a car I will just build it myself I do it enough for other people and the insurance will be cheaper:-/ this little car is putting me through a headache everytime I try to find a part even the air filters had to be special ordered online because NO ONE carries them anywhere near me. Oh I also HATE the rattling air filter housing it is so cheap and makes the car so much louder until I modded it. On top of my motorcycles :-)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The lack of parts availability for the Mirage is an annoyance for me too. Something as simple as an air filter I had a hell of a time finding in 2014 aside from paying way too much at the dealer or ordering online from a Mitsu parts supplier.

I too have the surging problem. Only seems to happen with the AC on though. Its horrible enough to make me want to drive off a cliff. Thankfully I live in FL. No cliffs. That issue, plus the grinding engine startup, faulty rear axle, and I'm finding ownership a bit of a headache. I do like the car a lot though. It's been very inexpensive transportation for 4yrs., which is exactly what I wanted when I bought it. Just not as reliable as I had hoped.

Not that I like paying $200 for a trans fluid change every 30k miles, but this is par for course with CVT transmissions. The nature of the beast. Doesn't matter what brand of car you buy. Was the same story with my 2012 Nissan Versa. The only maintenance item I grit my teeth about with the Mirage is the required valve clearance check/adjustments every 30k. Never heard of this on any modern car. I thought that was a thing of the past. Other cars have their own annoying modern car maintenance though, like fuel injector cleaning every oil change on direct injection motors due to carbon buildup on the pistons. It's worse on turbo GDI motors. I'm nervous about considering the new Mitsu Eclipse Cross later this year for my next vehicle due to this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought I read there is no need to check andcadjust valves on the mirage?
    Andcsome of those prices I recall others finding for a lot less. Like shocks etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I thought I read there is no need to check andcadjust valves on the mirage?
    Andcsome of those prices I recall others finding for a lot less. Like shocks etc.
    The owners manual for my 2014 Mirage states the valves should be checked and adjusted if needed at 30,000 mile intervals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    Yeah I now wish I had bought a Yaris instead. I am at 75K miles and I am having surging problems that are exactly like a fuel filter that needs to be replaced.... well the stupid people who designed the mirage built the fuel filter INTO the fuel pump (not REALLY but you have to pay $300 for a new module set without a pump)
    Hello Nes and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Mirage. Maybe we can help out?

For example, the Mirage automatic climate control runs the air conditioner compressor all the time as default operation. A few A/C compressors have been replaced and I believe this is due to them always running - they simply wear out. I shut off my auto A/C operation the day I got my Mirage as it not only saves wear & tear on the compressor but it improved my fuel economy. Have you turned off your automatic A/C control?

As far as the fuel filter (screen, really) isn't this is a common design? Mitsubishi isn't the only company who puts the fuel screen in the gas tank. Even the fuel pump is in there. The good news is it's super easy to reach - just pull up the rear seat bottom and the access plate is right there. If you are concerned your fuel filter is clogged, then it's super easy to check with little expense to a practiced mechanic like yourself.

also the yaris has more horse power and a oil filter that you don't have to mod to easily reach.
    What modifications have you done to more easily reach the oil filter? I usually reach the oil filter from above, but that's because I do it at home in my garage and don't have access to a lift.

Also the CVT fluid has to be changed every 30k and isn't a simple drop and drain so I can replace any filter or gaskets.
    I don't have a CVT and the service interval is one reason why I avoided getting one. I understand the CVT is designed for an engine with twice the power of the 3A92 in our Mirage, and it's a durable, reliable unit. Have you had any problems or failures with it?

I work in a car shop where most of our money comes from oil changes and other fluid changes and I am regretting my brand new off the lot purchase of a car I was hoping to be able to drive 300k miles with good maintenance but I doubt now that my little meep meep mobile will even have parts that last that long or parts that I can slightly mod or even replace. It took FOREVER to find and get a tech manual for this car and will never again buy a car from mitsubishi.
    Boy, I hope you didn't pay for the Service Manual because it is available online.

And we have a forum member here who maintains a fleet of Mirages used for delivery purposes. He has shared stories of Mirages with lots of miles (kilometers for him) on them.

I work in a car shop where most of our money comes from oil changes and other fluid changes I will stick with a honda where if you have a rehaul and gasket kit done before 100k honda will extend your warranty for another 100k even for your engine and will do this for a grand total of 400k on the same engine.... I just hate how hard it is to find parts and the expensive CVT fluid changes as well as the lack of thought put into routine maintenance pieces and where they are placed.
    Mitsubishi, and particularly the Mirage, hasn't sold nearly as many vehicles here in North America as Honda has. Honda's manufacturing facilities here have helped them sell many many cars. With the small number of cars sold parts availability is going to be slim and this is not limited to the Mirage. I was worried about it myself but so far (knock on wood) I haven't had to buy a lot of repair parts. Parts are available used at reasonable prices, so there's that.

Don't get me wrong I do love my car but I am sure the next time I get a car I will just build it myself I do it enough for other people and the insurance will be cheaper:-/ this little car is putting me through a headache everytime I try to find a part even the air filters had to be special ordered online because NO ONE carries them anywhere near me. Oh I also HATE the rattling air filter housing it is so cheap and makes the car so much louder until I modded it. On top of my motorcycles :-)
    Again, welcome to the forum. Make a Garage entry and tell us more about yourself and your Mirage, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)