Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    AND THAT'S WHY I went for a Mirage. At some point, one gets tired of throwing money at someone else.
    Smart man! I'm a slow learner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A friend of mine sold used cars and also worked on them. Mitsubishi was his favorite. Unfortunately he moved.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    With the amount of money I spent on parts (my cost, not retail) on 2 trucks this year alone, I could have had half a new mirage.
    I'm sure you can get a killer deal on one of the Mirages from work at some point. (Or do they run vehicles until they're worn out and not worth saving?)

Also... would you get the CVT or manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I thought about the PriusC but I was worried about maintenance costs with hybrids.
    Toyota SERIOUSLY over-engineered the Prius. It's their most reliable vehicle.

Taxi fleets would NOT be running as many of them as they do if the numbers (fuel use PLUS repairs/maintenance) didn't work out in their favour.

Also, since the 2nd gen (2004) Prius came out, Toyota's battery failure rate is miniscule (especially compared to Honda). By the time one ever does need replacing, you can get cheap replacements from junked cars.

I read a related quote from a GM official yesterday about the Volt plug-in hybrid: they haven't had a single battery warranty replacement since the car came out in 2011. Another case of very conservative (over) engineering to ensure the reputation of a "new tech" vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-14-2017),Madison320 (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Toyota SERIOUSLY over-engineered the Prius. It's their most reliable vehicle.

Taxi fleets would NOT be running as many of them as they do if the numbers (fuel use PLUS repairs/maintenance) didn't work out in their favour.

Also, since the 2nd gen (2004) Prius came out, Toyota's battery failure rate is miniscule (especially compared to Honda). By the time one ever does need replacing, you can get cheap replacements from junked cars.

I read a related quote from a GM official yesterday about the Volt plug-in hybrid: they haven't had a single battery warranty replacement since the car came out in 2011. Another case of very conservative (over) engineering to ensure the reputation of a "new tech" vehicle.
    Another big reason taxi's use hybrids is probably the rebates. They seem to be big in Ontario and I don't think they have incentives like that in Alberta. I talked to a cabby years ago that had a camry hybrid and he said toyota gave them a great deal and better than average warranty on the batteries as well.

As for getting a car from work, I don't see them getting sold anytime soon. The only newer vehicle that got sold has been the Spark and for good reason. I figured the Mirage's would be sold and replaced before 200000kms but so far they are holding together. I guess we'll see how far a Mirage can go. I'm not sure if I'd get a cvt or manual. If cvt I'd avoid the 14' because of the occasional flywheel problems. For in town I'd probably prefer a cvt. Haven't driven a manual to compare to though. People want too much for Mirage's around here! Cheapest I see on kijiji is $6000 for a pink base model with 56000kms.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-13-2017 at 04:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Ha - I think I saw that same pink one on Kijiji.

I'd buy pink for the right price!

Try the manual, it has the most ridiculously light clutch I have ever used. Not tiring/annoying in city driving at all.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if I'd get a cvt or manual. If cvt I'd avoid the 14' because of the occasional flywheel problems.
    Can you elaborate on what type of problem there WAS with the flywheel?

Also, big thanks to you, Fummins, for pointing me in the right direction with CVT fluid- 'Warehouse Services Inc.' in Edmonton sells the Klondike brand CVT fluid for about $12.50/L, as opposed to the Mitsu dealer selling J4 for $30.50/L.

I'm assuming maybe this is the company that services your company for parts/fluids? Regardless, I'm hoping to get future Wix filters through them, as well as spark plugs, et al.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    Can you elaborate on what type of problem there WAS with the flywheel?

Also, big thanks to you, Fummins, for pointing me in the right direction with CVT fluid- 'Warehouse Services Inc.' in Edmonton sells the Klondike brand CVT fluid for about $12.50/L, as opposed to the Mitsu dealer selling J4 for $30.50/L.

I'm assuming maybe this is the company that services your company for parts/fluids? Regardless, I'm hoping to get future Wix filters through them, as well as spark plugs, et al.
    Yeah that's where I get my parts.
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...9470#post59470

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    .If cvt I'd avoid the 14' because of the occasional flywheel problems.
    I have the 14 cvt. I vaguely remember someone mentioning the flywheel problem. Is it something that happens right away or can it happen when the car has more miles on it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

I've only heard of a few problems myself but there must be more around if Mitsubishi has a tsb for it. With my luck I'd buy a 14' and need to change the flywheel within a week so if I do look at one it'll be a 15+ but I'm more likely to go with a 4x4 cause they're worse on fuel, and have more stuff that can and will go wrong.

Flywheel wear would depend on how often you start your car? Probably just grind one day then go downhill from there. I'd assume it'd give you some warning before leaving you stranded. I'm not sure how the fancy push button start works on the Mirage, here we have just regular keys in our cars. I wonder if it'd try to start, grind and just keep on grinding away for 5 seconds til it times out? If that's the case it'd probably kill the flywheel pretty fast once a problem starts.