Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Cost of ownership vs Yaris

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    The owners manual for my 2014 Mirage states the valves should be checked and adjusted if needed at 30,000 mile intervals.
    Though the owner's manual recommends the valves be checked and adjusted, there is no adjustment that can be done. Valve lash is measured and new tappets installed if needed.

Personally, I don't expect to ever have to do this service. As with many such engines, I expect mine will run for many years without this service procedure ever being performed.

Details can be found in this post in this thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood ...

It will be a labor-intensive process. At least it'll go faster because the 3A92 has only three cylinders haha.

palebeachbum, have you checked your valvetrain yet? Hopefully you can share what you've found.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My post on disabling the automatic A/C control can be found here:

Personalizing the air conditioning switch (Changing the function setting)

It's as found in the Owner's Manual. It's as easy as pressing a button.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    My post on disabling the automatic A/C control can be found here:

Personalizing the air conditioning switch (Changing the function setting)

It's as found in the Owner's Manual. It's as easy as pressing a button.
    Even if you turn it off it still will come on when you press the defrost button. So I just re turn it off again. But I have mine defeated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    palebeachbum, have you checked your valvetrain yet? Hopefully you can share what you've found.
    I had the recommended 30k mile valve checkup. They said "it's fine" and nothing more was said. Given the clatter at startup for the last 30k miles or so, I'll have them check at the 60k mile mark, which should be coming in May or June. I'll definitely share anything worth mentioning with you guys.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I had the recommended 30k mile valve checkup. They said "it's fine" and nothing more was said. Given the clatter at startup for the last 30k miles or so, I'll have them check at the 60k mile mark, which should be coming in May or June. I'll definitely share anything worth mentioning with you guys.
    They probably didn't check anything. Hope they didn't charge you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope they didn't charge me anything. I suspected too that they didnt actually do anything, other than maybe listen to the engine. I got a free car wash and vacuum out of it at least and they replaced my snapped radio antenna without me asking them to.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice. See, there's still some good guys out there.

Did you notice any antennas missing from cars on the lot?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I have own my pink mirage for 5 years now. never given my trouble. My car dealer gives fixed price servicing.
    Fuel economy remains above 50 mpg / 5l/ per 100Km. This is the cheapest car to buy and run in Australia.
    Base model still below $13000 on road. Thanks again for this forum. I made a good decision buying the mirage,

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pinky For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-18-2018),Eggman (04-18-2018),El Kapitan (04-19-2018),inuvik (04-18-2018),Marklovski (04-18-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Though the owner's manual recommends the valves be checked and adjusted, there is no adjustment that can be done. Valve lash is measured and new tappets installed if needed.

Personally, I don't expect to ever have to do this service. As with many such engines, I expect mine will run for many years without this service procedure ever being performed.

Details can be found in this post in this thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood ...

It will be a labor-intensive process. At least it'll go faster because the 3A92 has only three cylinders haha.

When my engine was replaced they told me there were a couple valves out of adjustment in the original head.??
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you shop around, you can get an iA for $14k range. It might be Mazda, but it will be a lot more fun than the Yaris. I almost bought a end of year 2017 in December for $13,700, brand new. It handles more like a Miata than a cheap car and the steering is super direct, precise, responsive. It got 47 mpg at 57 mph. I might buy a CPO Corolla, because I want Toyota Reliability, but Mazda is still really good. The stick shift was Miata Like throws.. tight shirt shifts. I fell in love with the shifting. It also just drives so well.

Check out the iA.