Thread: Parking brake skips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Parking brake skips?

I've noticed lately that my parking brake will skip a tooth when I go to engage it. I've never been one to "rip" it up, I pull up 5-6 clicks and leave it at that. Lately though on the 4th or 5th click, it will skip up like one of the ticks has disappeared. You can definitely feel it "missing" something as you pull the brake up.

Technically it works.. so I am reluctant to bring it to a mechanic and my nearest dealer is an hour away. I realize that with time the brake gets looser as the cables stretch out but it seems strange it would skip like this. Anyone else had this happen? FWIW I'm only at 15k miles.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
    I've noticed lately that my parking brake will skip a tooth when I go to engage it. I've never been one to "rip" it up, I pull up 5-6 clicks and leave it at that. Lately though on the 4th or 5th click, it will skip up like one of the ticks has disappeared. You can definitely feel it "missing" something as you pull the brake up.

Technically it works.. so I am reluctant to bring it to a mechanic and my nearest dealer is an hour away. I realize that with time the brake gets looser as the cables stretch out but it seems strange it would skip like this. Anyone else had this happen? FWIW I'm only at 15k miles.
    Yes, had that happen a few times. Mine has not done it in a while, though. I wouldn't worry.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Mine does the same thing. I took it to Mitsubishi when the car had about 11k and they could not replicate the problem. I have found that backing the car up and hitting the brakes firmly solves the problem...for a while.