Thread: Just changed the oil on both Mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just changed the oil on both Mirages.

So I changed both tonight. It was like deja vu haha.
    Mine had 1662mi and my wife's 1740.

The M1 filter is bigger(taller) than the stocker. No wonder it says it has 3x the filter media.

Took about 3.1 qts to bring them right to the full line.

As for the filter. Yes it was put on by a gorilla. Didn't know thai guys were so strong. I kid I kid.

It uses the same filter wrench my Tundra internal filter housing uses. A 65mm I believe it is. And it has a nut on the end so a 1/2" rachet with a 24mm socket( a hair loose but works for this task) made quick work of loosening it. Without that there is no way it would come off by hand. No way.
    I put the M1 filter on hand tight. All is well now.

So for anyone punching holes in their filter STOP and get the filter wrench with a built in nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    So I changed both tonight. It was like deja vu haha.
    Mine had 1662mi and my wife's 1740.

The M1 filter is bigger(taller) than the stocker. No wonder it says it has 3x the filter media.

Took about 3.1 qts to bring them right to the full line.

As for the filter. Yes it was put on by a gorilla. Didn't know thai guys were so strong. I kid I kid.

It uses the same filter wrench my Tundra internal filter housing uses. A 65mm I believe it is. And it has a nut on the end so a 1/2" rachet with a 24mm socket( a hair loose but works for this task) made quick work of loosening it. Without that there is no way it would come off by hand. No way.
    I put the M1 filter on hand tight. All is well now.

So for anyone punching holes in their filter STOP and get the filter wrench with a built in nut.
    I only have problems with these on the first oil change. The factory filter is smaller than the one the dealer sells.Attachment 9376 And is a pain to get without the proper tool. But I was able to pull the plastic splash shield and sometimes get a better grip by hand or use channel locks before I had the filter wrench.

I have a cheapo filter socket works good with a 3/8 ratchet (65mm is correct) Attachment 9377
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-08-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: my phone takes blury pics

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I actually had trouble finding a quality filter socket locally. HERE are the specifics of the filter socket to look for.

Honestly...you really only need a tool to get the original filter off. Once you have done that, you install the new filter without a tool and you should be able to remove it with your bare hands as long as you apply a film of oil to the filter gasket and don't crank it on with every ounce of strength you have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine looks very similar. Mine is a "sure bilt" low profile cap wrench model 25412

I always apply a thin layer of oil to the new filter.

Wow that is crazy about how the stock filter is so small. Yeah the M1 is like the taller one on right.

Also, No valve chatter this morning on start up. Glad I changed the oil and filter out.