Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So long Geo, Hello Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    Conventional oil and 3000 miles? The car needs full synthetic and an oil change between 5000-75000
    Oh, I'm sure conventional would be fine so long as it meets the ILSAC spec and/or API SN requirements. Viscosity has been well covered here - I suppose it could be brought up too...

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual Page 9-6 & 9-7
    Engine oil identification mark

Mitsubishi Motors recommends using only engine oils with the ILSAC certification symbol on the front of the container.

If you cannot find oils with the ILSAC certification symbol, use an API classification SN or higher oil with the following label.

This mark appears on the top of the oil container and tells you two important things about the oil.
    1- The upper part indicates the quality of the oil.
    2- The center part indicates the SAE grade of the oil viscosity.

Recommended engine oil viscosity

Use engine oil with the proper thickness for the outdoor temperatures where you will be driving.

Mitsubishi Motors Genuine 0W-20 Synthetic Engine Oil is recommended for optimum fuel economy and cold weather starting.
    If Mitsubishi Motors Genuine 0W-20 Synthetic Engine Oil is not available, 5W-20 grade oils displaying the ILSAC certification can be used.
    However, Mitsubishi Motors Genuine 0W-20 Synthetic Engine Oil should be used at the next oil change to maintain optimum fuel economy and cold weather starting.

To replace the oil filter

The oil filter should be replaced at the time or mileage specified in the “WARRANTY AND MAINTENANCE MANUAL”.
    Only use high quality replacement filters on this vehicle. The manufacturer’s specifications for Genuine Mitsubishi oil filters require that the filter can withstand a pressure of 256 psi (1.8 MPa). A Genuine Mitsubishi oil filter is the best replacement filter.
    Follow the installation instructions printed on the filter.
    I think it's interesting that Mitsubishi states a pressure rating for the oil filter.

I like and use synthetic, especially for it's cold-weather qualities, but I don't think it's a requirement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I used 5w-20 syntetic Mobile 1 oil. I probably will switch to Amsoil on the next change.

The oil that came out looked clean though I didn't collect it in a container and only got to take a look at it as it was passing into the pan. I didn't see any particulates.

I really appreciate the tea kettle-like nozzle under the oil filter. I had never seen this simple touch on other cars. I was almost wishing it wasnt there while trying to remove the damn filler as the nozzle makes the filter completely inaccessible from the bottom. Once I removed the old filler, I thought the amount of space to put the new filler was adequate - I even got to use both hands at once. I think removing filters shouldn't be a chore any longer now that they aren't short of being spot welded to the block the way they come out from the factory.

Btw, the Wix oil filter is quite taller than what the car came with from the factory. Is that normal?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    Btw, the Wix oil filter is quite taller than what the car came with from the factory. Is that normal?
    For these cars, yes. There are many filters that fit these engines, and a filter similar in size to the original factory filter can be found. However, a larger filter (depending on construction quality) with more filtering media can be expected to offer a better flow rate and trap more stuff, giving longer service life.

Anyone who is worried about the performance of any oil and/or filter can simply send in a sample for analysis.

Here is some of my favorite links on engine oils:

Bob Is The Oil Guy:
    Motor Oil University - Motor Oil 101 – Chapter One – Operating Temperatures and Viscosity
    Motor Oil 104 – Chapter Four – Conventional vs Synthetic Oils

Blackstone Labs has several articles:
    Tales From The Oily Side

This one is an introduction to who they are and how they got there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's another site:

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Quote Originally Posted by PQIA
    Mission Statement
    PQIA’s mission is to serve the consumer of lubricants by testing and reporting on the quality and integrity of lubricants in the marketplace.

It is expected that this improved visibility of quality will lead to wider conformance by lubricant manufacturers to specification and performance claims.
    PQIA tests various motor oils available and reports on what they find. If they find mislabeled or fraudulent products, they highlight those brands as something to look out for.