Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So long Geo, Hello Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site. I kept a few of my Metros too. I'm down to four now. They're a lot like potato chips, hard to stop with just one.

Welcome, Jenya!

You're in good company here. Lots of current & former Metro owners around (myself included... 3 in my current fleet). What did you end up doing with yours after getting the Mirage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
    I don't even see what all the gaff about the steering is about. It feels just fine to me: plenty heavy, returns to center as good as any other car.
    Yup, they hacked the electronic power steering to "fix" that problem:
    Thread: EPS (electric power steering) actively self-centers steering for 2017 (video)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jenya, welcome!!! Love your Mirage!!! I would change the oil sooner the Frist time,then what the warranty manual says. During the breaking in period I'd change it after 2,000 miles to drain any metal shavings out of the oil pan. When I got my 2014 I did. It's a protection for your New Baby. Also the dealer told after that change it every 5,000 miles. I'm sure you know,But your oil is your life line of your New Baby! Awesome car!! Enjoy and advertise and promote the Mirage!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Still have the '94 XFi with ~240K miles. I put a lot of love and care into it. It is still going strong but developed an oil leak which I haven't figured out the source of. I took the timing belt cover off and didn't see any traces of cam or crank shaft seals leaking. I did replace those about 70K miles ago. I then reset the oil pan on a new bead of Ultra Black RTV. Still dripping oil. That was the last straw that pushed me into looking for a replacement car. Once I had learnt that there is a 3 cylinder 1.2L engine car out there, I was pretty much sold. Reading all the horrid reviews has not deterred me from being excited about the prospect of a "New Geo". Two days after a test drive and a bit of negotiating and I got the "New Geo" on my driveway!

I still would like to fix the oil leak in the Geo so that I could sell it to somebody as a usable car instead of just donating it to be sent to a crusher.

Jenya

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenya For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-21-2017),MetroMPG (06-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great advise, thanks!

Do people go through any specific breaking in protocol? I am doing things that the manual advises against - loading up the engine. I remember reading about breaking in motorcycle engines that it is best to lug/load the engine to increase ring pressure against honed cylinder walls.

Also, any recommendations for motor and 5sp oils? Should I replace the 5sp oil soon too? I have been running Amsoil in my Geo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Great advise, thanks!

Do people go through any specific breaking in protocol? I am doing things that the manual advises against - loading up the engine. I remember reading about breaking in motorcycle engines that it is best to lug/load the engine to increase ring pressure against honed cylinder walls.

Also, any recommendations for motor and 5sp oils? Should I replace the 5sp oil soon too? I have been running Amsoil in my Geo.
    Once the car gets about 500-1000 miles on it you will notice an increase in pep and mpg. These motors do require a little break-in time.

I run Mobil 1 0w-20 Advanced Fuel Economy for oil. At 60k I changed the gear oil to Redline MTL and noticed a real difference in how smooth it shifted.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

debburyl (06-21-2017),MetroMPG (06-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just did the first oil change at 300 miles. They put those oil filters super tight at the factory. Couldn't get it loose with neither the filler socket nor the filter strap. Ended up using filter pliers. Really mangled the filter and busted some knuckles.

https://goo.gl/photos/EurGacT6VjkKupNb6

Jenya.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I let the dealer do my first oil change because it was free. Those factory filters are very tight! You can go 7500 mile intervals on oil changes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    The maintenance reminder is useless imo. I just change oil every 3000 miles on conventional oil. I tried turning my reminder off but managed to set it to 35,000 lol.

Welcome to the forum.
    Conventional oil and 3000 miles? The car needs full synthetic and an oil change between 5000-75000
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just did the first oil change at 300 miles. They put those oil filters super tight at the factory. Couldn't get it loose with neither the filler socket nor the filter strap. Ended up using filter pliers. Really mangled the filter and busted some knuckles.

https://goo.gl/photos/EurGacT6VjkKupNb6

Jenya.
    I honestly can't recall having done any oil changes, with a harder to get to filter. I'm the 2nd owner of mine, so I didn't have to deal with an impossibly tight filter. My issue was just the opposite. My filter was very loose. I was very lucky that it didn't vibrate any looser, and start leaking. I could hardly even get my hand up in there to remove it either.