Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question - is this normal? (CVT "bump / clunk" when stopping)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

question - is this normal? (CVT "bump / clunk" when stopping)

Hi there, I have owned my 2015 Mirage ES for a few weeks now. I have noticed that off and on when I come to a stoplight/ stop sign after stopping there will be this clunk that will actually feel like it has push the car forward a bit. The first time it happened I thought the car behind bumped me. I noticed it more when the air conditioning was running, but off an on even when no air was on. and sometimes it is more pronounced and other times I only feel a slight "bump" any help would be appreciated thanks Carol

Yeah all the one's I've driven do the exact same thing. You come to a stop and it lurches forward a bit a second after. Now when I come to a stop I hold the brakes a little harder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I wonder if it's related to the Idle Neutral Logic feature either engaging or disengaging due to brake pedal pressure.

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

I have to say I didn't experience anything like this in the 2017 G4 CVT I drove for 2 weeks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (06-17-2017),Fummins (06-14-2017)

That's a possibility. I should mention that I noticed this on 2015's but can't be sure the same thing happened on the 17's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    cool I can live with it. just taking it on a longer trip this summer and wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should get checked out. thanks all

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 17 CVT ES does it too. Its random but mostly when or after heavy traffic.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Another weird thing that I've noticed, is that when I take off from a light and hold the pedal @ about 20% throttle, the transmission will not shift into high gear. It will run up to about 3200-3400 rpm and stay there. I ran it up to 65 mph yesterday and it absolutely would not shift, until I let off the gas and allowed it to shift. I could understand this happening if I was flooring it the whole time. Anybody else noticed this? (Sorry if I seem to be thread jacking here)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chusser123 View Post
    Hi there, I have owned my 2015 Mirage ES for a few weeks now. I have noticed that off and on when I come to a stoplight/ stop sign after stopping there will be this clunk that will actually feel like it has push the car forward a bit. The first time it happened I thought the car behind bumped me. I noticed it more when the air conditioning was running, but off an on even when no air was on. and sometimes it is more pronounced and other times I only feel a slight "bump" any help would be appreciated thanks Carol
    Hello Carol.

Your symptoms remind me of two 'features' of these cars:

1. Neutral Idle Logic
    When you come to a full stop, the Mirage computer tells the transmission to go into neutral until it's time to go.

Some forum members here have reported similar things happening at stops, and it's mostly with the CVT. I haven't experienced this but that's probably because I have a 5-speed manual transmission.

One member changes his CVT to neutral by hand when he wants to coast and at stops. If I recall correctly, by doing this the 'bump' has stopped.

If only to see if it's the Neutral Idle Logic that's causing this, you can try shifting to neutral yourself before the car does it automatically.

2. Automatic air conditioning control
    The 2014s & 2015s sold in the US came with auto climate controls in the US market, which controls the air conditioning compressor. The auto climate control will operate the compressor on it's own whether you set AC on or not. It puts a noticeable drag on the engine and it's easy to tell each time the compressor runs & stops.

This automatic AC compressor operation can be turned off. Doing this can not only save fuel, but also save wear on the compressor.

It's very simple to do. There are instructions on this in the owner's manual. If you don't have a printed copy of the owner's manual, it can be downloaded from Mitsubishi. There are also instructions posted here on the forum.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've owned a 14' cvt mirage and now the 17' cvt mirage. Both have their respective "glitches" but the severity depends more on what you were doing b4 you stopped. ie. were you still accelerating from the last light or did you have time to coast in, did you stop quickly or roll gently to stop, were you creeping up to stop like in rush hour traffic... so many variables.
    When stopping the ecu that controls the cvt must stop doing what you were doing and try to guess what you wanna do next so any variation of input by you causes it to readjust it's thinking.
    For consistent results try to stop without creeping up on the light, keep firm pressure on brake pedal while stopping/stopped (no chauffeur stop) any variation in pressure sends the cvt mixed messages.
    Your cvt is probably just fine.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-15-2017)

FYI, I'm definitely a practitioner of the Limo Stop and coasting into stops wherever practical, and the G4 CVT didn't do anything weird to me.

EDIT: I wasn't running the A/C at all though. It wasn't hot out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)