Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just ordered some redline 75w80 MTL.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LetItMarinate View Post
    How man quarts does the transmission hold? I can't seem to find it anywhere!
    1.6 Litres. The oil level should be even with the filler hole. Stick a finger tip in slightly to check.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (06-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    1.6 Litres. The oil level should be even with the filler hole. Stick a finger tip in slightly to check.

Yes. Keep in mind the level should be even with the filler hole when the car is on level ground. Not when it is up on ramps. If you refill until oil leaks out of the filler hole when the front of the car is raised, you will be under-filling it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (06-27-2017),LetItMarinate (06-28-2017),Wayne (07-29-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Yes. Keep in mind the level should be even with the filler hole when the car is on level ground. Not when it is up on ramps. If you refill until oil leaks out of the filler hole when the front of the car is raised, you will be under-filling it.
    I would have thought rotating the filler hole upwards would cause the oil level to drop from the hole, thus causing overfilling when oil is brought back to filler level. Keep in mind the filler is at the front of the transmission.

In any case, you have a valid point. The car should be level.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (06-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2 quarts always works for me.

I know for some this mirage gearbox shifts fine, for me it's felt a bit rough from the beginning. If your used to a Honda or BMW precision transmission experience you won't find it in a mirage. It reminds me of my 87 MR2, it's not by but works perfect if you get it right, yet it still feels disconnected and notchy. I'm sure I can put a early 2000s Hyundai Accent and most wouldn't be able to tell the shifter feel from a mirage and the accent. Other than the poor shifter feel the transmission is great, I abuse the hell out of it, stop and go and it hasn't failed yet.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (07-02-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The job is done. I noticed an immediate improvement and it's not just in my mind. I took it around the block and it's a lot better with redline. I will post my thoughts after a week or so of driving it.

I drained the stock fluid and measured what came out. 1.69qts is what the car calls for and that's what came out.

So I pumped the same amount back in. Done and done.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-03-2017),Eggman (07-03-2017),LetItMarinate (07-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I noticed a rather dramatic improvement as well. The trans was nowhere near as notchy and balky as it was with the original fill.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-03-2017),LetItMarinate (07-04-2017),Pryme (07-03-2017)

Thoraxe the Impaler LetItMarinate's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just changed the trans and motor oil. The transmission fluid amount was spot on thanks! The motor took alittle over 3 quarts which was alittle more than I was told in another post. The redline oil is night and day. The transmission shifts so smooth now I love it!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LetItMarinate For This Useful Post:

Pryme (07-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too refilled mine with the Red Line MTL. The issue was notchiness going into second gear when cold. No problems once the transmission warmed up. The MTL has substantially eliminated the second gear notchiness when cold. I can detect no other difference in operation at this point either cold or warm. Very satisfied!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

LetItMarinate (07-04-2017),Pryme (07-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Now that I've driven awhile with the redline I must say it's wellllll worth the 25.00 to swap out the stock stuff! I will be doing my wife's mirage soon. One gallon will do 2 changes and leave some left over. So for us it's one change haha. I'll run this for 30k and get another gallon. It will it will probably take me about 5yrs to hit 30k miles though with my current commute. Haha
    I only have 2,100 miles on it as of today.