Thread: Radiator fan went bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Radiator fan went bad.

After 2 years and 71,300 miles, my radiator fan went out. I had an overheat. I noticed the fan wasn't running. I checked and the 40A fusible link was blown. I replaced the fusible link ($5 from AutoZone) and there was smoke coming from the fan motor. We have a winner in the "What caused the Roller Skate to overheat" contest. I am going to be replacing the fan which is $96.79 from RockAuto. Has anyone done this repair to their Mirage? I haven't seen it here so I will take photos for a writeup.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to burghbeagle For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post
    After 2 years and 71,300 miles, my radiator fan went out. I had an overheat. I noticed the fan wasn't running. I checked and the 40A fusible link was blown. I replaced the fusible link ($5 from AutoZone) and there was smoke coming from the fan motor. We have a winner in the "What caused the Roller Skate to overheat" contest. I am going to be replacing the fan which is $96.79 from RockAuto. Has anyone done this repair to their Mirage? I haven't seen it here so I will take photos for a writeup.
    During the overheat did any dash lights come on or did the car go into limp home mode? Any advanced warning?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    During the overheat did any dash lights come on or did the car go into limp home mode? Any advanced warning?
    Overheat light came on but nothing else. I had the A/C on but it shut off when it overheated. The car did not go into limp home mode. I turned the heat on full blast to cool the engine and the light went off less than a minute after it came on. I had zero warning that there was an issue until it overheated. The coolant was full, it didn't lose a drop.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to burghbeagle For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-10-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post
    Overheat light came on but nothing else. I had the A/C on but it shut off when it overheated. The car did not go into limp home mode. I turned the heat on full blast to cool the engine and the light went off less than a minute after it came on. I had zero warning that there was an issue until it overheated. The coolant was full, it didn't lose a drop.
    Excellant thinking on blasting the heat. Had the same thing happen to me in a Chrysler mini van. Fan went out while stuck in 10 mph interstate traffic. Blasted the heat until I could get the heck out of there. Actually started cooling back down to normal, once I could get up some speed and had air flowing through the radiator.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Excellant thinking on blasting the heat. Had the same thing happen to me in a Chrysler mini van. Fan went out while stuck in 10 mph interstate traffic. Blasted the heat until I could get the heck out of there. Actually started cooling back down to normal, once I could get up some speed and had air flowing through the radiator.
    I've used that trick before. My first car was a 1989 Dodge Daytona that was worth anywhere from $0.00-20.00 depending on how much gas was in it so I've used redneck engineering techniques to limp a car home plenty of times. I am hoping the radiator fan install doesn't involve a lot of expletive spewing but we shall see. Most things with the Mirage seem pretty well laid out without a lot of stupid fastener placement.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Does anyone know at what temperature the overheat light comes on?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (07-11-2017)

Good thinking on running the heater. Most people don't know their cars have 2 radiators & 2 fans.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)