Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car dealer being shady with inspection

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Car dealer being shady with inspection

I brought my 15 mirage to get inspected at the end on march it passed inspection although today realized they marked that they pulled all 4 tires but i have aftermarket rims n tires and you need my wheel lock to get tires off as last tike i brought in for oil change mechanic said he cant rotate without the lock so basically they marked them as being pulled but didnt. I go back friday for the tpms light being on and a weird sound coming from the driver side front tire. Im a little pissed they lied and god forbid something was wrong with the brakes or tire in general and i got injured in crash or something. Is it a requirement to pull tires in inspection? And now i have to question all theyre work if they lied about pulling the tires when they didnt any help is greatly appreciated if i do have to pay for tire to be fixed i kinda wanna make them pay since they lied about tires and i wanna tell manager and ask why theyd lie. What dhould i say and do or am i being crazy

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You're talking about a Pennsylvania state inspection, right? I'm not sure I'd get too bent out of shape about them not pulling your wheels. How many miles are on your car?

What's the deal with your TPMS light? Did that start after you put your aftermarket wheels on? I'm just curious because that happened to me.

One of the most important things you need to check is your alignment. If your car has under 50,000 miles and it's never been aligned, you need to get it checked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe the purpose of pulling the wheels in an inspection is generally to check the condition of the brake pads in the front and shoes in the rear. Depending on your aftermarket rims the front pads are usually easily visible without pulling the wheels. The rear drum brakes have rubber capped inspection ports on the brake backing plates which allow visual checking of the leading brake shoe which receives the greatest amount of wear on a drum system. If the leading shoe has adequate lining visible then the secondary shoe undoubtedly has enough lining remaining also. Its kind of a gray area but its frequently not necessary to actually pull the wheels to do a sufficient brake inspection.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    ...Depending on your aftermarket rims the front pads are usually easily visible without pulling the wheels.
    I didn't even think about that. I can definitely see my brake pads through the spokes of my front wheels. I image they could do it with the wheels on his car. Here's a pic of his car from his garage. I can almost inspect his pads from here...

Name:  car.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  40.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a PA State Inspection mechanic. Even if the brake pads or shoes are visible you are required to pull one wheel from opposite sides front and rear. That is the only way to properly measure rotor thickness and inspect pads or shoes for cracks and unbonding. If a customer comes to my shop and I cannot find the lug tool, then I cannot do the inspection legally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok so should i kinda press them on why they passed it without pulling tires?. It just makes me question theyre work from now on. I have about 8500 miles on car and i took my car to the tire guy who put on my rims n tires and he said the tpms sensor battery is prolly dead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like how should i bring it up to them without being an asshole per se

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodger86 View Post
    ...should i kinda press them on why they passed it without pulling tires?.
    I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I'm surprised the state has to inspect a relatively new car with under 10K miles anyway? I lived in PA a long time ago and can't remember the regulations.

I wouldn't use this as an opportunity to sour the relationship you have with your servicing dealership. You've got a LOT of miles to go before your warranty runs out. You want to maintain a good relationship with them because you may need their help sooner or later.

Have you had a 4-wheel alignment check done on your car? If I were you, I'd be a LOT more concerned about that right now than whether or not they took your wheels off to look at the brakes on your car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok well imma just let them know. Imma ask for alignment check tomrrow this would be under warranty id assume.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car is just over a year old but under 12k miles can i still get the check and it be under warranty?