Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it bother anyone that....

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Does it bother anyone that....

THE ENGINE BAY IS UNPAINTED!

I noticed it almost right away but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. I understand that it was probably to save money but almost everything else is painted completely. Underneath door panels, under the center console, under the back seats, even under the dashboard is fully painted so why leave the engine bay unpainted?

The trunk under the carpet where the spare tire sits isn't fully painted either, but I've seen the same section unpainted in other cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Inexpensive car. It worries me about rust. And the whole ynderbody is not coated either pretty much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Reviewers routinely remark on the unpainted engine bay. Lucky for new Mirage owners, the hood doesn't need to be raised frequently.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-17-2017),Tinker1980 (06-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Nah, here on the ultra-mild Oregon Coast the difference between winter, spring & fall is well not much. Now that I think about it, it rarely gets above 70 degrees F here. 300 days of overcast, virtually no freezing temps. Other than checking the oil once in between changes not much reason to raise the hood.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    All that is missing is the (thin) top color coat and (thin) clear coat. The 'unpainted' areas get the same primer and sealant that the rest of the body gets, and they really do most of the job anyway when it comes to metal protection.

I wouldn't worry about rust, as the portions of the car that don't have the top/clear coat aren't really subjected to direct exposure to water anyway. Mitsubishi apparently isn't worried about rust...that is why these cars come with a 7-year, 100,000 mile anti-perforation corrosion warranty.

Geo Metros are the same way, and rust in these non-colored areas really isn't a problem. It's the frame horns that rot out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    It's true. There is paint there, just not the matching color coat. And this isn't unusual among cars.

I think Cobrajet has a point, in that it is important that there is no exposed metal. So long as there is some coating, it will help stave off corrosion. A tougher topcoat helps avoid damage to that important base layer. Damage to that base layer exposes the metal to the elements and thus opens the door to corrosion. I don't think that is necessary for the engine compartment. The engine compartment of most cars is not typically exposed to the same chips as for example the hood.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for someone who is really bothered by it to add it, but for what purpose - looks?
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-17-2017 at 12:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Nah, here on the ultra-mild Oregon Coast the difference between winter, spring & fall is well not much. Now that I think about it, it rarely gets above 70 degrees F here. 300 days of overcast, virtually no freezing temps. Other than checking the oil once in between changes not much reason to raise the hood.
    You lost me at 300 days of overcast. Oh no.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    But when the sun finally does shine, it is oh so nice. One adjusts. There is very little snow and they don't salt the roads much, so our Thai sourced cars will go a lot of years without rusting.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A few words on steel and coatings, from someone who used to deal with both...

Our little Mitsubishi Mirages start out as various raw materials. One of those materials is a big, ~40,000 pound roll ("coil") of steel sheet. That sheet is rolled, broke, formed, punched, welded, and pressed until it becomes a unibody for a Mitsubishi Mirage. Once we have this perfectly formed, lovely, virginal Mirage Body, we're going to dip it in a saline/zinc solution, drop a zinc anode in there, and turn on the current. Once our body comes out of that process, it's galvanized. You could throw it outside at this point, and it wouldn't rust for decades, unless it got a good scratch or you showered it with salt water every day.

AFTER that rust-proofing process, there are various steps where the body is dipped in primers, corrosion inhibitors, and finally, it's painted. The paint, as CobraJet pointed out, is just a thin covering on the top. The important parts have already been done, before that car body knows what color it's going to be.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    But when the sun finally does shine, it is oh so nice. One adjusts. There is very little snow and they don't salt the roads much, so our Thai sourced cars will go a lot of years without rusting.
    They may salt the roads once or twice a year...and it's followed by 40 straight days of rain to wash all that salt away in a hurry!