Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it bother anyone that....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    A few words on steel and coatings, from someone who used to deal with both...

Our little Mitsubishi Mirages start out as various raw materials. One of those materials is a big, ~40,000 pound roll ("coil") of steel sheet. That sheet is rolled, broke, formed, punched, welded, and pressed until it becomes a unibody for a Mitsubishi Mirage. Once we have this perfectly formed, lovely, virginal Mirage Body, we're going to dip it in a saline/zinc solution, drop a zinc anode in there, and turn on the current. Once our body comes out of that process, it's galvanized. You could throw it outside at this point, and it wouldn't rust for decades, unless it got a good scratch or you showered it with salt water every day.

AFTER that rust-proofing process, there are various steps where the body is dipped in primers, corrosion inhibitors, and finally, it's painted. The paint, as CobraJet pointed out, is just a thin covering on the top. The important parts have already been done, before that car body knows what color it's going to be.
    This is a cool theory. Now come to the upper midwest and see tons of late model cars i.e. 5 or 6 years old even with rust popping out from under the paint. I wash my cars a lot so my Hyundai did not have any on the body at 8.5yrs but boy oh boy was it taking it's toll on the underbody.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Regarding the lack of paint under the hood... Just buy a silver Mirage and you'll probably never notice where it transitions from silver to grey primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    ...come to the upper midwest and see tons of late model cars i.e. 5 or 6 years old even with rust popping out from under the paint.
    Yeah...there are too many cars running around here with bad rockers, rust on the bottoms of doors, behind the rear wheel wells, etc...

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  96.8 KB

...which is why I spent a few bucks to get a Krown treatment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed it as well. It doesn't bother me because the engine bay gets super dirty from driving anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This is a cool theory. Now come to the upper midwest and see tons of late model cars i.e. 5 or 6 years old even with rust popping out from under the paint. I wash my cars a lot so my Hyundai did not have any on the body at 8.5yrs but boy oh boy was it taking it's toll on the underbody.
    Did you miss the part about "Unless it's being showered in salt water every day"?

That's what is happening to cars in the upper midwest in the winter. Salt water corrodes everything, to include some types of stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Regarding the lack of paint under the hood... Just buy a silver Mirage and you'll probably never notice where it transitions from silver to grey primer.

Yeah...there are too many cars running around here with bad rockers, rust on the bottoms of doors, behind the rear wheel wells, etc...

Name:  rust.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  96.8 KB

...which is why I spent a few bucks to get a Krown treatment.
    That's brutal! The only vehicles I've seen like that have either never been washed and mostly parked on grass or mud(farmers) or they spent a few years in Ontario without being under coated. We do have one mirage that is starting to bubble behind the paint on the bottom inside lip of the drivers door. I'll try to post a pic when it comes in the shop next.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)