Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs. Spark vs Micra: cheap car overview (Toronto Star Wheels)

Mirage vs. Spark vs Micra: cheap car overview (Toronto Star Wheels)

Name:  micra-spark-mirage.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  88.1 KB

Remember: in Canada, the base versions of these 3 cars (no AC) start under $10k + delivery.

Except of course Mitsu refuses to lower their MSRP and instead applies an almost perpetual $2500 discount on the base car. Which means when going strictly by MSRP comparisons, it always appears the most expensive. Dumb tactics on the part of Mitsu Canada?

Name:  mirage-micra-cup-parade.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  93.2 KB

Makes me wonder if they've actually driven the 2017 car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "front seats are uncomfortable"?

Lolwut. Front seats better than my 2011 Corolla S.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post

I agree, front seats aren't bad at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Were all 3 of these cars comparably equipped (AC, power windows & locks)? If so, is the Mirage really priced $2500 more than these other 2 cars in Canada?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post

Also: seat comfort is so subjective, reviewers should generally be banned from writing about it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Were all 3 of these cars comparably equipped (AC, power windows & locks)?
    Of those 3, they're referring to the base models with manual transmissions. In Canada, there's no AC in the base Micra, Spark or Mirage. Micra has manual locks & windows, Mirage has power front windows (but not rears) but no power locks. Not sure about the Spark, but I suspect it has power locks but not windows.

is the Mirage really priced $2500 more than these other 2 cars in Canada?
    Re the Mirage's MSRP: ever since the Nissan Micra arrived here and stole the entry level show with its sub-$10k pricing, Mitsu Canada has put an almost perpetual $2500 manufacturer's discount on the hood of the base Mirage to make the out-the-door price competitive.

The problem with that is when auto writers do these "cheap car" articles, they only look at MSRP, so the Mirage loses out by comparison.

I've seen this happen multpile times and brought it up with Mitsu's PR manager. I didn't get a satisfactory answer about why they don't just lower the MSRP to compete directly.

When GM introduced the redesigned 2016 Spark, they went with a $9995 MSRP for the base model to compete on price with the Micra. GM undercut the Micra by $3. Nissan actually responded and dropped their price by $10 to regain "cheapest car" status. Mitsu just sits on the sidelines and watches.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-19-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Also: seat comfort is so subjective, reviewers should generally be banned from writing about it.
    True, I like the seating position because im tall.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My last car was a jeep and the seat was very uncomfortable. My wife drives a ford F 350 King Ranch with leather seats and my Mirage is still more comfortable. I don't get these opinionated reviews. As far as driving experience. I enjoy driving the mirage more than the huge ford truck. And the jeep that rode late a stage coach.The Mirage has a smooth ride. Even a lot of the crappy reviews pointed that out. I am 6 foot tall. 200 pounds and find the car very comfortable.

Micra is gone. Mirage base price disaster

Just updating this thread: Nissan discontinued the Micra in Canada as of the 2019 model year. Sayonara to one of the three "$10,000 tin cans".

---

Mitsu is dooming the base Mirage in Canada with an extra grand tacked onto the price for the 2021 model year.

That leaves the remaining two cheapest cars in Canada:

- $10,198 for a base Chevy Spark
    - $13,858 for a base Mitsu Mirage

(Plus delivery charges.)

Yup, that's approaching 4 grand more for a base Mirage.

Of course Mistu will rightly point out that this is the cheapest new car you can get with A/C. But $4 grand more expensive? They lost the cheap car marketing battle big time.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-24-2020),Fummins (12-23-2020),Mark (12-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So did Nissan discontinue the micra because of the Mirage competing against Nissan? Since they're both kind of the same vehicle and share some parts? Or did Nissan just discontinue it because no one was buying it? Also that is a lot of money for a brand new car that used to be under 10 grand new...

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles