Thread: Brake drum locknut size?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Brake drum locknut size?

At about 18,000km (not a typo), my rear brakes have been squealing alot during the past couple of days. I used to drive my MT with what I now consider excessive braking, but stopped that maybe around 2000km ago. I'm replacing my front pads this summer; they can last longer but I don't want to end up having to replace them in the cold during winter. Even so, for the rear brakes to be making noise at this point is certainly strange.

From what I've read, the Mirage has a somewhat unique (in North America) setup, where the locknut keeps the whole assembly together. I'm wondering if anyone knows the size of the locknut. The biggest socket I have is 22mm, so I need to know which size to borrow from a friend

Name:  20170626_182005.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  100.3 KB

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    30mm.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I haven't change rear pads yet, did have a car that had noisy rear brakes once though. Only if you hit the brakes just right it would make a resonance kinda noise from the rh rear. I just cleaned everything up with brake clean and put a little grease where the shoes pivot and the rub points on the backing plate and no more noise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The installation and removal of that "self-locking" nut is somewhat unique. The following images are from the shop manual...

Name:  self-locking.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  nut2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  42.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.6 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just cleaned everything up with brake clean and put a little grease where the shoes pivot and the rub points on the backing plate and no more noise.
    This is what I'm hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The installation and removal of that "self-locking" nut is somewhat unique. The following images are from the shop manual...
    Thanks for that!