Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake drum locknut size? Answer: 30 mm

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Brake drum locknut size? Answer: 30 mm

At about 18,000km (not a typo), my rear brakes have been squealing alot during the past couple of days. I used to drive my MT with what I now consider excessive braking, but stopped that maybe around 2000km ago. I'm replacing my front pads this summer; they can last longer but I don't want to end up having to replace them in the cold during winter. Even so, for the rear brakes to be making noise at this point is certainly strange.

From what I've read, the Mirage has a somewhat unique (in North America) setup, where the locknut keeps the whole assembly together. I'm wondering if anyone knows the size of the locknut. The biggest socket I have is 22mm, so I need to know which size to borrow from a friend

Name:  20170626_182005.jpg
Views: 8136
Size:  100.3 KB

30mm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I haven't change rear pads yet, did have a car that had noisy rear brakes once though. Only if you hit the brakes just right it would make a resonance kinda noise from the rh rear. I just cleaned everything up with brake clean and put a little grease where the shoes pivot and the rub points on the backing plate and no more noise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The installation and removal of that "self-locking" nut is somewhat unique. The following images are from the shop manual...

Name:  self-locking.jpg
Views: 8989
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  nut2.jpg
Views: 8011
Size:  42.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (11-01-2022),MetroMPG (06-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just cleaned everything up with brake clean and put a little grease where the shoes pivot and the rub points on the backing plate and no more noise.
    This is what I'm hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The installation and removal of that "self-locking" nut is somewhat unique. The following images are from the shop manual...
    Thanks for that!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Name:  self-locking.jpg
Views: 8989
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  nut2.jpg
Views: 8011
Size:  42.5 KB
    Superb - thanks for the detailed reply.

I guess the warning about removing the locking nut means you remove it with the wheel off the ground? I wouldn't ordinarily do that, but I get bearing damage bit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by relikrider View Post
    I guess the warning about removing the locking nut means you remove it with the wheel off the ground?
    That warning is somewhat odd. You can't access the nut until the wheel has been removed from the car. So how would it bear any weight of the car?

The only way you would have weight on the brake drum is if you jacked up the car, removed the wheel, and then did something crazy like lower the brake drum onto a jackstand to hold the car up while you removed the nut?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nah you can get at it no problem even with all 4 tires on the car. Your just spoiled with them fancy rims. Lol

Why would they care if you remove it quicker than 8rpm tho? For heat? I don't understand...........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Nah you can get at it no problem even with all 4 tires on the car. Your just spoiled with them fancy rims. Lol
    LOL...you got me there. I guess if you were crazy you could take the drum off with the steel wheel still attached!

Why would they care if you remove it quicker than 8rpm tho? For heat? I don't understand...
    They probably don't want you to zip it off with an impact. My guess is that could possibly reduce/damage the nut's 'self-locking' properties...which could potentially lead to the drum/wheel coming off. I hate it when that happens.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Detailed removal or brake job would be great.