Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will the Mirage have better fuel economy than my current car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. I imagine the Mirage will get better mileage as well. However, I'm not sure how much better it'll really be.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to clarify, is the Mini a diesel?

Nope, it's the same petrol/gasoline 1.5L 3-cyl turbo we get in North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Just to clarify, is the Mini a diesel?
    No, it's a petrol engine.

One thing that I'd love about the Mirage is the fact that it's a naturally aspirated engine. I think the engine of the Mini Cooper is a masterpiece considering its good fuel economy for a 136 hp engine, but I really don't like turbocharged engines. Many people think it's an advantage because you don't need to shift gears as much when the full torque is available at only 1250 rpm, but to me this is boring. I like to work (shift) for performance when it's necessary.

I imagine the Mini is quite a bit heavier than the Mirage as well. Last time I checked was a few years ago, so this info (US specification) is a bit out of date:

Car Horsepower Weight (lbs) Weight / Horsepower
    3. Mini Cooper 121 2535 21.0
    12. Mitsubishi Mirage 74 1973 26.3

Thread: Mirage vs competitors, power to weight ratio comparison

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ECO-driver View Post
    But I don't think that it's representative as the typical Space Star driver has bought the car because of the low running costs and therefore he will drive it differently than the typical Mini driver who wants a stylish car that is fun to drive
    Perhaps, but I get the sense that you are not a typical driver of either of these cars. For example, if you are getting better fuel economy in your Mini than other Mini owners, I would certainly expect similar results in a Mirage/Space Star.

Wouldn't you agree?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    You might be right, but the big question is how much better fuel economy I could get. My fuel consumption in the Mini is better than the average by 1.8 liters. But if I could only do 0.5 liters better than the average Mirage 1.2 driver on spritmonitor.de it would be less than 0.4 liters better than with my Mini.

It's really tough. I want one of the most eco-friendly cars that I could get (because my ideology has changed a lot over the last 1-2 years), but I would need at least a 0.5 liters advantage over my Mini to justify the switch since the Mini has other advantages that I mentioned earlier (especially the seats).

What I can definitely say is that I find it much easier to undercut the fuel consumption specified by the manufacturer in a car with a naturally aspirated engine than with one of these popular (at least in Europe) modern downsized engines (small displacement and turbocharged).

Then again I don't know if this is also true for a car with a small naturally aspirated engine. My experience is based on cars with larger engines (2.0+ liters) that I had in the past. For example I had a Toyota GT86 (before my change of ideology) with 200 hp and a 2.0 liter 4cylinder engine that is specified with a combined fuel consumption of 7.8 liters. I frequently managed to go below that figure. In winter only by a few tenth but in summer about 1.0 liter (Edit: even on my 10 Km short distance commute)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it would be quite hard to improve your observed gas mileage by 0.5 liters/100 km, which per my calculations is about a 10 percent improvement over what you reported to have observed on your test drive.

I say this because if I have a tank that is mostly city and I drive it hard without thinking about fuel savings, vs a tank that is mostly highway and I drive very gently I see a 13-14 percent fuel mileage improvement but that's with different drive styles and situations. If on your test drive you were in the best gear and were not driving it very hard I do not see a way to improve by 10 percent unless you resort to extreme hypermiling techniques all the time.

If you want the best mpg, get the Mirage with the 1,0 engine especially if you rarely need to accelerate quickly and don't mind a very soft suspension, and maybe add the lights later.

I say keep the Mini if money is not an issue. Lets face it, you are already getting great gas mileage in that car, its a much nicer car, it has the power for the rare situation you might need it, and it handles really well if you just want to have a bit of fun every now and then. Also, the seats as you mentioned. If you have a bad back I say absolutely do not risk getting a car with seats that may aggravate it, physical pain is never ever worth it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ECO-driver View Post
    You might be right, but the big question is how much better fuel economy I could get.
    Well, that would be a question in which you might be the best judge, and it sounds like you have certainly done your research.

The Mirage responds great to fuel-saving techniques. However, as with any car many short trips don't help. An internal combustion engine does best when it's warmed up. To that point, some forum members here improve their fuel economy by installing a engine block heater and use it in all seasons to help get the engine up to operating temperature more quickly. A quick search of the forum will show who is using one and their results.

I'm curious to know if commuting by bicycle is a possibility? I ride my bicycle in to work though not every day. I used to ride every day and through winter too but have become a fair-weather cyclist lately. It's the best fuel economy you can get.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

ECO-driver (06-29-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Unfortunately using a bike is not an option. Mostly because of myself (I don't like it too hot, I don't like it too cold, I don't like it too wet etc. ) but also because the possible routes to my workplace are really annoying. Sometimes there is no bikeway at all or if there is it's right next to a main road with lots of traffic which annoys me.

I wonder how much I could improve the fuel economy of my Mini Cooper by changing the tires. Currently I drive 205/45R17 in the summer and 195/55R16 during winter. Both tire sets are not optimized for fuel consumption.

Maybe with 195/55R16 (or even 175/65R15) during summer and 175/65R15 durcing winter and with fuel saving tires I could squeeze out another 0,2 - 0,3 liters.

I really have no idea how big the potential of this measure would be. What do you think?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ECO-driver For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-29-2017)