Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will the Mirage have better fuel economy than my current car?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Bikeways! I wish I had some. I ride in and with traffic. I also have some pretty decent foul-weather gear to better deal with the elements. I learned a few lessons riding through winter.

It's funny. Some folks spend great sums of cash and travel far and wide for an outdoor adventure. I just go for a bike ride.

Tires.
    Have you tried overinflating what you have? Just don't exceed what's listed on your sidewall. Also see if someone is willing to swap tires. Someone switching to bigger tires often consider it an upgrade so maybe you could get some cash for your set in the deal.

I would swap with you if we were closer! Four bolt Mini tires share the same bolt pattern with the Mirage.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-29-2017 at 12:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Well, at least when I think of the U.S. I see broad streets where a bike easily fits next to a car. I don't know if this is also the case where you live?

Unfortunately here in Germany the streets are often so narrow that there is just enough space for the cars but not for a bike.

The current Mini has five bolts, so we would be out of luck even if we lived closer.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    We already wrote in a german forum, but I didn´t know you are driving a Mini Cooper right now. I found your Spritmonitor profile (stating 5.0 l/100 km average with the Mini Cooper) and I think your improvement in fuel consumption could be much more than 0.5 liters.

As I wrote in the other forum, I get about 3.4 to 4.0 l/100 km on 10 km short distances in the summer. Mostly I drive the short distances with a passenger, there are some stops, too, and I drive about 70 km/h because there are not many speed limits. Long distances behind trucks result in 3.0 l/100 km in the summer, which is way below your 4.0 to 4.5 l/100 km trips on the autobahn. Even with air conditioning the Space Star would be much more efficient in my opinion.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

ECO-driver (07-03-2017),MetroMPG (07-06-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thank you for your feedback. I was hoping to learn more about your driving style.

These are excellent figures and I think that even with improving the tyres on my Mini Cooper I would still get at least 0.5 liters less with the Space Star. Plus like you mentioned in the other forum it is one of the cleanest engines available according to the ADAC test. This is also becoming more and more important to me.

Then again my car is already quite frugal and perfectly fine in every other aspect. Hard to make the right choice here. Maybe I should go with the other tyres first and if that doesn't satisfy me enough after 1-2 years the Space Star will still be available.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bike commute as well, and have been mostly car free for about 10-12 years now. I am actually surprised that the infrastructure is not better in Germany? Maybe it is very much based on location, which city, etc. They are not all the same.

The USA is a mostly less than friendly place, but I have picked homes and jobs that are close, all under 7 miles to work, with decent routes too boot. Moved to a city based on my need to feel I can ride over drive. It is the reason I am still waiting to spending anything on a Mirage, unless I really start needing a car more often.

Seeing you have a Mini that serves you Well, and will only get a couple MPG less, and you have a paid for car...

I cannot see much reason to step down (that is what you will be doing) to get a Mirage. Unless, of course, the Mini was a problem car, and you planned to rid of it as a result.. I just find the cost benefit analysis too poor. Taking on a another debt to save a few MPG.

Keep your fun car.

ECO-driver, I hope you'll let us know what you ultimately decide to do.

my car is already quite frugal and perfectly fine in every other aspect
    I think you may find the Mirage/Space Star much less fun (in terms of drivng dynamics), if that is a priority to you. Once you've had the chance to test drive one, please come back and let us know.

Personally, I'm OK with sacrificing sporty handling for fuel economy. I find getting great fuel economy is a fun & rewarding game. I don't do autocross competitions with my car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)