Thread: narva range power 110 vs osram night breaker

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

narva range power 110 vs osram night breaker

hi,

i am looking for new bulbs for my headlights. i saw the narva range power 110 and osram night breakers. i dont like those white beam obes. for one its blinding. which would be a better buy ?
    i also want to have good vision in the rain.

TIA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey bosbik welcome back - I see it's been a while since you last posted.

While I have no experience with these hopefully someone else here can chime in about them. I haven't changed out the factory bulbs.

What have you found about these? I haven't heard of narva before.

It's interesting that Narva claims the Range Power 110 claims "110% more vision" and it is what seems to be a rather common halogen bulb. Here is a link to their product page: Narva Range Power 110

This page describes the Osram Night Breaker and suggests that because it is a brighter bulb it will not last as long as an ordinary bulb. Candlepower Inc.: Osram Night Breakers

This excerpt from the link compares the Osram Night Breaker to Philips Xtreme Power:

Quote Originally Posted by Candlepower Inc.
    The Osram Night Breaker has relatively large areas of blue glass which do nothing for your seeing performance -- so-called "whiter" light does not help you see better -- but there is a colorless window completely surrounding the filament, so the tinted light is primarily confined to the extremities of the beam. Both of these bulbs have the best available output from a standard-wattage bulb, and an accordingly short lifespan (no free lunch). The law of diminishing returns applies here: there is a significant improvement in beam performance when going from a long-life to a standard bulb, an equally significant improvement when going from standard to +30, a smaller improvement when going from +30 to +50, and a smaller improvement still when going from +50 to +80/+90.

As for the various "plus" claims (+30, +50, +80, +90, etc.) keep in mind how they're devised: The plus-numbers cannot be attained simply through greater intensity from the bulb, because of intensity and wattage restrictions contained in bulb regulations prevailing worldwide. The "Plus" bulbs do produce near the maximum allowable flux but that's obviously not the whole story. These bulbs have higher filament luminance and give better beam focus because the filament coil itself is smaller.
    Unless I am misunderstanding this explanation, it appears that Osram is using a smaller filament to produce a brighter beam of light at the expense of longevity. Perhaps this approach is what Narva is doing with their Range Power - same wattage from a shorter, brighter filament with shorter life.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-29-2017 at 09:45 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

bosbik (10-01-2019)