Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent misfire type symptoms '15 Mirage bought one month ago 31k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just left work. Put it in drive and started driving. As I drove off the car started jerking and stuttering along with a belt type squeal. Starting to smell like transmission issue, although maybe a AC compressor with a bad bearing/clutch system could do this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DFWMirage View Post
    ...Put it in drive and started driving.
    ...the car started jerking and stuttering along with a belt type squeal.
    Was your AC turned when the noise was happening?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    This could be a failing compressor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Was your AC turned when the noise was happening?

It was. The noise also occurs with the AC off.

It seems maybe I got the short straw on this mirage. From what I read before I bought it it seems like one of the most reliable vehicles on the road. The car didn't sell to the first owner until early 2016, therefore it has only had a little over a year on the road, and being out of Amarillo, TX I that it's mostly Highway, so I am surprised it's having this issue. Love the car otherwise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Clay Cooley Dealership in Arlington said I can drop it off next week on Wednesday.

Hope they get her all fixed up. I don't mind waiting a couple weeks as long as it's done right. I told the other dealership that too, although I suspect they are so busy they didn't really want to take this issue on. I partially bought the mirage in order to have something reliable to drive our newborn around in, otherwise I would have just stuck with an older vehicle with higher mileage. Can't break down with a newborn in the Texas heat. /Ramble over

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

1. Replacing the belt resolved he squealing issue.

2. Chugging misfire sound still remains on cold start after put in drive, then put in park after driving 60 feet. Dealer says this is normal. Can anyone please confirm if their mirage does this as well?

Thank you for all the help so far

Quote Originally Posted by DFWMirage View Post
    Update:

1. Replacing the belt resolved he squealing issue.

2. Chugging misfire sound still remains on cold start after put in drive, then put in park after driving 60 feet. Dealer says this is normal. Can anyone please confirm if their mirage does this as well?

Thank you for all the help so far
    That's odd for the belt to need replacing so soon. Can usually get well over 100000kms from a belt. Need occasional adjustment though which takes 30 seconds.

These cars can be pretty shaky especially when cold. I haven't tried to play your clip yet, but have you tried to give it a little gas to see if it smooths out? I've seen a few issues in the winter(-10c and colder) when someone would start the car after sitting overnight, move it across the parking lot, shut it off then try to restart it immediately and it would seem as though it was flooding. It would crank all day and not fire until you held the throttle down.

If you open the hood when it's running and it looks like it's gonna shake itself apart, don't worry that's normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just listened to the youtube clip and didn't hear anything misfire. Its just the engine running with ECU in "hunting" mode.

In the prevailing conditions (foremost condition being temperature, but also load...) the programming of the ECU just has the engine getting into a "hunting" condition, where it searches for a stable ignition, fuel enrichment and cam-adjustment position to suit prevailing conditions. When "hunting" it changes enrichment and ignition timing to "better" values, but then the revs drop, then the ECU reacts by putting timing and enrichment back to what it was before, only to be be "improved" again. Thats why the revs go up and down with the engine constantly "hunting" for a better adjustment. That sort of thing can happen within all sorts of regulatory cycles inside any complex equipment, be it a car engine or a even a PLL inside a radio receiver. It was also commonplace with mechanical regulation systems such as with truck diesel engines a few decades ago. Remember the revs going up and down of an idling truck or bus diesel engine?

If you let the car idle for a short time, or preferably just moderately drive off as it is, it will soon gain temperature, leave "hunting" mode, and within a short time it will run just fine. It has to do with the complex programming of the ECU suiting that particular engine in that particular condition. There are just too many variables for the ECU programming to be always 100% perfect in every thinkable and possible condition. Remember, these cars are made to save fuel, save fuel and save fuel, everything and anything else comes later. Nothing to worry about at all.
    Last edited by foama; 07-15-2017 at 09:39 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Foama, normally your advice is spot on but i think you missed post #11 and i think your advice is out of date and no longer valid.

The mirage has 14 different fuel tables, gone are the days of simple open/closed loop, and while its possible its switching between them, it would require something faulty in the cooling system because, as you stated, it's mostly based off temperature, and running engines only heat water

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Foama, normally your advice is spot on but i think you missed post #11 and i think your advice is out of date and no longer valid.

The mirage has 14 different fuel tables, gone are the days of simple open/closed loop, and while its possible its switching between them, it would require something faulty in the cooling system because, as you stated, it's mostly based off temperature, and running engines only heat water
    @ MightyMirageMPG: Of course 14 fuel tables is most complex, didn't know it had that many, and don't know how many timing/load/temp points are stored in each table, but I think it may be hunting between two timing settings within whatever table is being applied.
    Particularly in a car with automatic transmission in cold engine state, and even more so with AC on, it is difficult to keep a small engine running smoothly and at low revs. Very difficult when cold and loaded at the same time.