Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent misfire type symptoms '15 Mirage bought one month ago 31k miles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Intermittent misfire type symptoms '15 Mirage bought one month ago 31k miles

Dealer refuses to look at the until problem goes from intermittent to constant.

2015 Mitsubishi Engine Noise 1.2L
    Happens for 30 seconds during cold start. Then sometimes comes back 1 minute later for another 30 seconds.
    Car has only 31k miles on it.
    Dealer refuses to look at it until noise becomes constant instead of intermittent.
    Any clues?
    Did not start happening until yesterday.
    Car had 30k mile service @ 29.3k miles a few months ago and checked fine at the time.

Thank you

https://youtu.be/-a54iTpRL5o

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DFWMirage View Post

Happens for 30 seconds during cold start. Then sometimes comes back 1 minute later for another 30 seconds.
    Dealer refuses to look at it until noise becomes constant instead of intermittent.
    Any clues?
    Car had 30k mile service @ 29.3k miles a few months ago and checked fine at the time.

Thank you

Have you checked your oil level to make sure they didn't overfill? I'd try a different dealer if your oil level is ok, that's a lot of valvetrain noise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Hello DFWMirage and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having these problems with your Mirage! While I can't say I'm familiar with these symptoms, I too would like to know what could be causing this.

It might be helpful to know more details about you and your Mirage - consider making a garage entry here on the forum:
    Garage empty: add car
    Take a look at my garage entry for an example and browse others here too. This can help us better understand what's going on.

I have some questions for you:

1. Air Conditioning
      Your Mirage was sold with an automatic climate control package that has the air conditioning compressor running pretty much all the time. This auto AC operation can be changed, and the instructions can be found in the owner's manual.
      1. Is your air conditioning running?
      2. Have you turned off auto AC?

If you need help with this, refer to this forum post. Turning off auto AC is real simple.

2. Engine oil
      The Mitsubishi Mirage 3A92 motor uses MIVEC variable valve timing and is operated by hydraulic pressure from the motor oil. Clogged oil passages could interfere with this.
      1. When was your last oil change?
      2. Do you change it yourself?
      3. How often has the oil been changed?
      4. What type of oil is used - info such as who sells it, conventional or synthetic, viscosity?
      5. What filter is being used?

3. Fuel
      Low quality fuel can cause a host of problems for any engine.
      1. What brand do you use?
      2. Refer to the Top Tier Gas webpage for more info.
    4. Air filter
      It's not likely that a dirty air filter could cause your symptoms, unless it is somehow contributing to rich fuel conditions...
      1. When has the air filter been last inspected?
      2. If necessary, has it been changed?

I watched your YouTube video and I have to confess I didn't notice any unusual noises. Initially I thought to check and document the simple engine maintenance items such as fuel, oil, filters then I remembered the auto AC. I'm going to guess that you recently got your Mirage and are new to how it runs.

If you are a new Mirage owner, congratulations and welcome to our little club. These are great cars and have proven to be quite reliable.

That being said, the one recurring problem that has been more or less discovered among owner members here on the forum has been rear axle alignment. Get yours checked. If caught in time, Mitsubishi will take care of it under warranty.

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    This is a new one. It almost sounds like timing chain noise or something? Definitely check oil level and condition.

I'd tell the *******s at the dealership it IS a constant noise and make them look at it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What the others said! Tell the dealership to look at it again.

From your sound clip i cant tell anything but i would suggest pulling the accessory belt and starting the engine. It's possible the alternator is screwed up or something got inside chewing up the windings.

Also worth looking into the oil fill cap, who knows maybe there will be a cam lobe sitting there lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any clues?

Thank you

Take it to another dealer and file a complain with mitsubishi, your car is still under warranty...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the responses so far!

For those that can't hear it. Listen for the sound pitching up and down, as if something is running uneven.

Turning AC on and off doesn't affect it.
    Oil was changed at a shop right before I bought the car 3 months & 2k miles ago. Oil level is within normal range.
    Gas is only purchased from Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc
    Air filter was changed 3 months & 2k miles ago.

So far a timing chain running uneven in there has been one of my theories as well.

Quite a pickle. Haven't found anyone else with this issue

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hook up a scan tool or code reader and see if any OBDII codes have been set. If what you are perceiving is really a misfire, you might see 1 or more codes set like P0300 (random misfire), P0301, P0302, etc. A really bad misfire would cause your check engine light to flash constantly.

Being a 3 cylinder, these engines tend to have a bit of idle vibration that some people aren't used to.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    For those that can't hear it. Listen for the sound pitching up and down, as if something is running uneven.
    Yeah, this is what made me think of the AC compressor. If this were the case, you could see the compressor running each time the engine demonstrates a rough idle. Running the AC causes rougher sounding operation when I'm at idle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok, new update. It only happens when I put it in park after a cold start. I start the car, put it in drive, get up to my mailbox, put it in park, and that's when it happens.