Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New head unit, ready for install!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wink New head unit, ready for install!

I received my new ATOTO M4272 (32GB) Android based head unit on Wednesday! Today, I received the Metra aftermarket face plate, Metra wiring harness, and the ATOTO backup camera.

The good think about this head unit is that it first the Metra face plate perfectly without having to sand down or shave the sides to make it fit.

My plan is to start with solding/heat shrinking the wiring harness tonight and then begin the install tomorrow morning! It'll be nice having a touch screen radio with Android installed in the car. Next month, I'll be upgrading the speakers and adding an amp and bass.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Brianm13; 06-30-2017 at 10:06 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brianm13 For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (09-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Its Installed!

A few days late on the pics, but the head unit is installed. I didn't take any pics of the progress since it was pretty straight forward (for me anyways). I started with soldering the wiring harness that came with the radio to the Metra wiring harness. I also soldered the backup camera (not installed yet) cable.

I then used a thin bread knife to remove the AC face plate, then the old radio face place. A few screws and I was able to pull the whole thing out. I installed the new Metra face plate on the new radio, attached all the cables, and put everything back together again.

So far, so good. I am liking the head unit, but did have to put a screen protector on as I very easily scratched it with just my finger tip, which flicking through the screens. Other than that it seems to work great!

Next month, I'll upgrade the speakers. The month after that; new amp and sub.
    1999 Mirage DE 1.5 Auto
    2015 Mirage DE 1.2 CVT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brianm13 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Nice upgrade. How's the functionality and features of your new HU?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Radio

Looks very nice! Do the steering wheel controls work with the new head unit?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rocart3r View Post
    Nice upgrade. How's the functionality and features of your new HU?
    Love it so far!

Radio works great, no reception issues. It pulls all my music from a USB drive using Rocket Player. I can play videos when I'm not driving. It has GPS so I can use Google Maps w/ offline areas. I also have a hotspot through work that I've been using for Waze.

Just about any Android app can be installed, even though its Android 4.2.2. It comes with Torque preinstalled (I'm waiting for my OBDII to come in to try it out). It has a DVR function as well, where you can hook up the ATOTO dash cam to it, which I might do. I have a cheap dash cam at the moment.

There are a few issues that I have come across, though:

- Screen: The screen is scratch prone. If you get this model, pick up a cheap screen protector for a tablet and cut it down to size. Not a biggie for me, but I did get a small scratch on the screen the day after install.

- Equalizer: The head unit has a builtin equalizer which has presets only. There is an option in the settings menu to adjust but haven't played it with it much. Not sure if I want to try and play with that or find a 3rd party that works. I'm going to play with this more after I get new speakers and a sub.

Other than that, I think this head unit is a keeper for me.
    1999 Mirage DE 1.5 Auto
    2015 Mirage DE 1.2 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by webslinger08 View Post
    My Mirage is the DE model so I do not have steering wheel controls, but they do have the cables for steering wheel control on the harness and there is an app that allows you to map your steering wheel controls. They claim it works with any steering wheel controls. They also sell a Bluetooth control unit that straps to your steering wheel.
    1999 Mirage DE 1.5 Auto
    2015 Mirage DE 1.2 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks... where did you order the trim kit and wiring harness from Amazon as well?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks... where did you order the trim kit and wiring harness from Amazon as well?
    I ordered the wiring harness from Amazon, but actually ordered the face plate/trim kit from ebay since it was a few bucks cheaper, but it is available on Amazon as well.
    Last edited by Brianm13; 07-05-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
    1999 Mirage DE 1.5 Auto
    2015 Mirage DE 1.2 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The bottom right corner shows the steering wheel learning program which allows you to assign the buttons on your steering wheel.
    1999 Mirage DE 1.5 Auto
    2015 Mirage DE 1.2 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks really great!

Plenty overly-complex for me, though... It does play music right? Lol

Looks good tho.

How does the display fair in sunlight?