Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I wasn't happy with my 17 ES

Country
    United States
    Thanks

So I wasn't happy with my 17 ES

I traded it in on Wednesday for a 17 Lancer.
    I am in it 3 hrs a day in severe traffic.
    I will miss the fuel economy but that's about all I'll miss about it.
    I love the mirage but seriously Mitsubishi needs to do some refinement.
    Put heavier springs/ shocks in it, spend $100 on some insulation, get the stickiness out of the 5MT,
    And get rid of that half assed cheap Bluetooth . Oh, and make sure the car is right out of the factory.
    Mine wasn't .
    Lesson learned.
    All said and done I got a lancer for $30 more a month than a mirage GT or G4 SE loaded.
    I ate about 5500 after all the paperwork was done.
    We kept the 15. It seems to drive better than the 17.
    Buy what you want in a car to begin with.
    That's the lesson I learned .
    Glad you folks are here as we plan to keep the 15 until it's rusty death .
    And here. Pic of new lancer.

Name:  IMG_0261.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  98.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0258.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  96.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Sorry the Mirage didn't work out for you - that's an expensive lesson! At least you gave it a shot. The Mirage isn't for everyone.

Good luck with your Lancer. I'm sure it will be a solid car for you.

I wonder if the Lancer uses a Bluetooth interface similar to the JCI Visteon Link System that the Mirage has.

Looks like it does. According to this website, the Lancer has the same Bluetooth interface as the Mirage:
    Mitsubishi Fuse Hands-Free Link System - Vehicle Select

Here's hoping it works better for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I just wish the Mirage had a few more things like I said.
    Yes the lancer has the fuse link system , also has 6.1 touchscreen .
    I bough a base model Lancer. Has everything I want.
    Like I said, we kept the 15 Mirage but for my comfort, I had to go with something slightly bigger and more optioned

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice Lancer you got there!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5,500 holy wowzers. And 30.00 more a month for how many more years? They must have tacked all that negitave equity onto your new car loan. The bottom line on that Lancer must be huge.

It looks nice though. I'm sure it provides a more comfortable ride.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is your new car automatic or stick shift?

Looks pretty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    5,500 holy wowzers.
    I was thinking the same thing. That's 50% of the MSRP of a new Mirage, depending on trim level, rebates, etc. That's a big hit.

Others here have pointed out how the Mirage value tends to depreciate. When taken as a percentage of total cost, it's pretty substantial. When viewed as a simple cash value loss, I argue it's not as bad as it seems and is certainly no worse than some higher-priced vehicles out there.

Take for example the 2017 Ram Truck 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew Cab with 5'7" Box.

NADAguides.com reports this truck has an MSRP of $47,440 with a factory invoice price of $43,699. They list a sale price range of $40,369 to $44,364.

Kelley Blue Book lists used prices for the same vehicle in very good condition with 6600 miles (for comparision) at a greater loss in value. They list the trade-in value at $32,680 and list a trade-in range of $30,844 to $34,370.

The loss in value for this example (from MSRP and the current trade-in) is $14,760. That depreciation could buy a lot of stuff - it would cover the cost of a new Mirage.

All that to say it could be worse!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, Boston, I thought you were a die hard Mirage fan. The car works for me, but I'm not a big guy and I don't drive a lot. If I had a long commute like you do, I don't think it would be the car for me either.

As a somewhat unrelated aside, I had to borrow a friend's 2011 Civic and expected to be blown away by the refinement. Instead, I was actually happy to get my Mirage back. I even felt that way last summer when I had a friend's Porsche Boxter. Yes, it was a wonderful car, but in the Mirage, I didn't have to worry about damaging the car and could make it into my garage without scraping the under carriage.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ranny For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm glad you were able to find a car that works for you more to your liking but IMHO the Mirage's seats are'nt that bad. I had seat heaters installed in mine and wow what a difference that makes. A little heat during a trip or commute really helps my back and I have driven for 10 hours straight with no issues. Regardless, congrats on the new Lancer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah the Mirage depreciates really fast. Probably a 20% loss the minute you drive it off the Dealers lot and than about $1200 a year depreciation is what I calculate for mine.

And if you trade anything in to the Dealer you are just begging to get taken advantage of.

Why do we ever trade anything in to the Dealer? We all know better than to do that. We should have listened to the lessons our parents taught us.....

2) Dont ever trade in a car to the dealer
    3) Dont ever lease a car
    4) Say no to the extended warranties and the higher trim levels (bells and whistles like a moon-roof)
    5) Say no to rustproofing, dealer prep fee, lojack
    6) Say no to "maintenance package" with free oil changes and tire rotations at the dealership

Oh wait......I forgot Rule #1 which makes all the other rules moot

1) Dont ever step foot in a new car Dealership unless you want to get sheared like a sheep

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)