Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Fuel Filter Replacement (location: on fuel pump, in the tank)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

DIY Fuel Filter Replacement (location: on fuel pump, in the tank)

Hye guys, been searching for the fuel filter replacement thread but couldn't find any. May someone point out where is the location of the fuel filter?

If you guys have replaced it by yourself, can you guys give some tricks and tips on changing the fuel filter? Thanks

---

ADMIN update: see filter access instructions and photos from Fummins, staring in post #11.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Had a good look at the manual. There is a better sort of strainer at the bottom of the fuel pump unit inside the tank, called "fuel pump module", but it seems there is nothing else. Maybe somebody else can verify this?

It also seems there is nothing preventing any addition of a regular plastic cartridge fuel filter in the supply line going from the tank (pump) to the engine. If I would be installing that, I'd put it where a leak of that additional filter would not spray fuel over hot engine parts. The filter and fuel line must fit snuggly together and be secured with not over-tightened clamps.
    Note the fuel pressure in the supply line is about 3.5 bar (equating to 47 psi in medieval units, relevant only in USA, North Korea and Liberia).

I wouldn't routinely replace or clean that fuel filter under the pump. Maybe if there was a specific reason for it, like somebody dumped a handful of dirt into the tank. In that case I probably would remove the entire tank and flush it out.
    Last edited by foama; 07-16-2017 at 05:03 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (11-16-2022),dgiarazza (07-11-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Have you downloaded a copy of the service manual yet? Section 13B details Fuel Supply. It includes instructions on replacing the fuel pump but I see no service procedure for replacing the filter alone. It also details depressurizing the fuel line, and a special tool used to access the fuel pump.

Mind sharing why you want to replace this filter - are you having problems?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-10-2017),dgiarazza (07-11-2017)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Oh sorry, i haven't download the manual yet,just reffering to the user manual book and there is no guideline on replacing the fuel filter. My car is approaching the 36th month of ownership and the stealership advice me to change the fuel filter every 60k km milage. So if i know how to diy it myself i could save some pennies since i have acess to the tools and the jack stand and stuff.

On my way to download the user manual now,haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not the Owner's Manual but the service manual. Check here:

mmc-manuals.ru

Hope this helps. I'm not sure of the origin of this site but I have found it helpful.

I don't feel comfortable giving advice about working on the fuel system over the internet. I hope you too are careful about proceeding with this endeavor as there can be a lot of bad advice out there.

Especially if it's not necessary in the first place.

Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Hye, i have gone thru the service manual under 13b that u have stated. What i found is that the fuel filter was inside the fuel pump module. So it will be hell of a job to dismantle the fuel tank,and taking out the fuel pump module just to gain access into the fuel filter right? I thought the fuel filter is a one piece of thing along the fuel line to the engine just like what other car have.

Since like it's a no no diy for me huhu

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most cars built now, do not come with an easily accessible / replaceable fuel filter. They only have the "sock" (as we here in the states call it) which is attached to the fuel pump, located within the tank. I cut into the fuel line and installed a "metal" inline filter on my 99 Geo Metro. If you should choose to add one, make sure you only use the metal style, not plastic, because of the previously mentioned fuel system pressures. Plastic would not be safe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Aren't filter baskets built right into the injector? In my experience they are removable and replaceable - Or is this out of date, as well?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does the owner's manual have any schedule for replacing this filter? It's beginning to sound like another dealer trying to make some money with unnecessary service.

I haven't seen a fuel filter in these cars. Looks like you have to pull the rear seat bottom out and pull the pump out through the floor to replace the strainer/sock on the bottom of the pump assembly. It wouldn't hurt to take a look and see if it's full of junk. Hopefully it's easy to replace just the filter. I actually have a fuel tank/pump assembly inside a car. I'll take a look and post some pics.
    Rather than hacking up your fuel lines and having a potential leak/fire maybe see if one of these will work? http://www.profill-australia.com/e-store/HOME.html It'll at least stop stuff from getting in your tank in the first place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-12-2017)