Thread: US: Versa sales plunge because Nissan is "backing away" from cheap car segment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

US: Versa sales plunge because Nissan is "backing away" from cheap car segment

Could this be good news for Mirage sales?

Nissan Versa Sales Plunge Because Nissan Wants to Help Dealers Sell Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles

America’s historic subcompact car segment leader, the Nissan Versa, suffered a sharp 22-percent U.S. sales decline in the first half of 2017. In fact, total Versa sales plunged 45 percent in June 2017.

[...]

Nissan’s vice president for U.S. sales said the Versa’s severe drop comes after an “intentional move” on Nissan’s part to “back away from the Versa segment,” Automotive News reports.

[...]

With less emphasis on one of the least expensive cars in America, however, Nissan can install greater support for comparably priced or even somewhat more expensive used cars. As a result, dealers will be more attracted to Nissan’s CPO program
    Read the full article: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...wned-vehicles/

Maybe this is part of an organized decision between Nissan & Mitsubishi? Maybe the Mirage will be the combined company's "go-to" inexpensive car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Related factoid:

During the first six months of 2017, the subcompact car losing the greatest number of sales is the Nissan Versa, which is suffering as Nissan realigns its dealer strategy to emphasize certified pre-owned cars.
    Americans Are Turning Away From Subcompacts In Droves

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    So here's an article about subcompact car sales in the US with no mention of the Mirage?!?

Name:  article.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  52.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I noticed that too but TTAC only savages the Mirage any time they mention it at all. So I'd rather them ignore it then let their obvious bias broadcast time after time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-20-2017)

Another interesting tidbit from that article: Yaris iA (sedan) makes up 75% of Yaris sales. I wonder what the G4 proportion is.

I noticed the same thing. That writer has a history of being particularly negative toward the Mirage.

I was going to comment, because the Mirage has actually increased its US sales volume every year since it was re-introduced. It's probably the only car in the subcompact and sub-subcompact segment to do that.

But then I noticed he also left out the Spark, so my guess is he's classifying the Mirage as a "city car" rather than going by the EPA (interior volume) class.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-20-2017)