Thread: Gearbox oil for MT, non-American source

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Gearbox oil for MT, non-American source

We have heared a lot about different brands of suitable MT gearbox oil, as available in America.

Here is an alternative fully synthetic sort that might even be the most suitable of all. It is easily available outside the USA.

The brand is ROWE, the sort is called "Topgear FE S 75W-80 GL4/5"
    Factory order number is 25066

According to factory, ( http://rowe-mineraloel.com/en/ ) it exceeds both GL4 and GL5, meaning it will not corrode or wreck the brass synchro rings as straight GL5 would, but includes better anti-foaming and anti-wear agents which exceed both GL4 and GL5 requirement, but without being harmfull to yellow metal. Data sheets can be downloaded from their pages, and you could also reach them by phone and ask for an engineer.

In direct comparison to Mitsubishi MZ 312644, it has the same neutral colour and same almost odourless smell, but is slightly thinner at room temperature, meaning it will shift better when cold. Being fully synthetic it has a less temperature-dependant viscosity curve. According to data sheets, it is also slightly thinner than Redline 75W-80 GL4
    Below is a picture of a one-litre bottle, the same stuff I use in my Mirage/SpaceStar. See manufacturers compliance printed on the label.
    I have also used it in other makers cars originally specifying 75W90 GL5 in order to make shifting easier in winter with worn gearboxes.

Name:  Foto0147.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  95.0 KB

Last edited by foama; 01-20-2018 at 08:31 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-17-2017),Eggman (07-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Are you using this now? If so, did it make an improvement over the OEM oil?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-17-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Are you using this now? If so, did it make an improvement over the OEM oil?
    Yes, I am using it now. I changed it because of adding a magnetic drain plug. The old oil had a brassy metallic colour, presumably from minute particles worn off the synchro rings.
    I did not have an issue with any gears going in hard, and I usually take my time shifting, for the sake of not wearing out the synchro rings prematurely.
    After the oil change, shifting is a bit lighter, especially shifting back down into first.

Last edited by foama; 07-16-2017 at 04:54 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-17-2017),fc321 (07-16-2017)