Thread: New owner questions: what's with the haters? Predicted reliability? Aftermarket fogs?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New owner questions: what's with the haters? Predicted reliability? Aftermarket fogs?

Hey everyone thanks for the warm welcome!!! I have a few questions about the car in general if you could help me.
    First, let me start out by saying I absolutely love my Mirage! It is my first ever brand new car and I feel like I definitely made the right decision! It reminds me of my old Geo Tracker 2WD in terms of size and simplicity!
    Next, I was wondering what is up with all of the haters??? I mean I have read critic after critic review just slamming this car! I am not sure what they expected? This car is typical of what both Europeans and Asiatic countries drive! Nowhere else in the world are cars as exorbitant and huge as in the USA! Also, I mean people were complaining about the plastic dash being all one color and not using any fancy faux wood grain or sliver molding. Really!!! That's what is important to you in a car? What are your thoughts on this?
    Next, I read that "predicted reliability" is low. I mean one of the reasons I bought the car is because it seems like a DIY mechanics dream in this day and age. Simple, easy to work on, lots of room in the engine bay. I have heard Mitsubishi has a sterling reputation for reliability as well. Is that all hogwash being spouted by the critics or should I worry?

Now I have a few parts questions. The guys at the dealership keep telling me they don't think the factory fog light kit will go onto the ES aftermarket because I did not buy one with fog lights to begin with... they also have not ever installed a new kit on a Mitsubishi Mirage either cause I guess most people just buy them on the car already. Is that true or can I install the fog light kit with minimal rewiring?
    Next question is I am concerned as I do not see any brake rotors for sale at any of the parts stores including RockAuto. The Mitsubishi Branded ones are expensive as they are dealer items of course. Is this going to continue being the case or will they make the rotors available aftermarket soon? Even if its the Genuine Mitsubishi parts I'm buying at the parts store, that's cheaper than going to the dealership!
    Finally, I am upset because I got curb rash on one of my hubcaps. I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap replacements that are OEM because again going to the dealership they want $130 for one stinking hubcap.
    Thanks for any and all help!
    Cheers!
    -Dabullfrog91

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Mirage. To answer a few of your questions:

I would find another dealer. If they're too dumb to follow the directions provided by Mitsubishi to add the OEM fog lights I would suspect they're too dumb to do any competent maintenance on your Mirage. Here is a link to the handy list of DIY's, upgrades and how to's for a lot of projects (fog lights are listed in the list).
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...s-and-DIY-list

There hasn't been a problem with Mirages chewing through brake rotors in the 14-15 models with the smaller brake rotors so it's should be a safe statement that the '17's with the larger brake rotors should have even less issues.

As far as replacing the plastic hubcaps I would just go down to your local auto parts store or Walmart and get a set of 4 inexpensive replacements. The OEM's are crap that love to fling off at a moments notice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Dabullfrog91: hope you don't mind I moved your questions into a separate thread. They'll get more responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    Next, I read that "predicted reliability" is low. I mean one of the reasons I bought the car is because it seems like a DIY mechanics dream in this day and age. Simple, easy to work on, lots of room in the engine bay. I have heard Mitsubishi has a sterling reputation for reliability as well. Is that all hogwash being spouted by the critics or should I worry?
    It sure seems like the Mitsu skeptics are wrong on that count.

Mirages have been holding up well in the reliability department.

If you're concerned, you'll want to follow posts by forum member "fummins", who maintains a fleet of 20+ Mirages that are used as delivery vehicles. The cars are holding up remarkably well to hard use and high miles/kilometers. And that's not even the only commercial Mirage fleet we know about -- there are a few U.S. taxi companies using them too. (And likely a lot of taxi companies in southeast Asia.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Dabullfrog91 (07-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Mine has nearly 70,000 miles on it and I have not had one problem. It's a delivery vehicle, so it is put to some pretty serious use. There are other owners on the 'Net who have many more miles and still no issues. These cars have proven to be CRAZY reliable, as are most Mitsubishi products.

The fogs are a bit of a pain to install on the '14s and pretty easy on the '15s and '17s. The car is already wired for them, and if you have a '17 then the fog light switch should already be on your turn signal stalk. Just cut out the blanking plugs on the front bumper cover, install the lights, and then the lame part...take the car to the dealership to have the fog light function activated on the car's computer.

Ebay is the first place I would look for a replacement hubcap. There are several on there for much less than the stealership charges...including this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIRAGE-2017-...hY8tc6&vxp=mtr

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dabullfrog91 (07-20-2017),fc321 (07-20-2017),MetroMPG (07-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, that makes me feel good. I pretty much figured these critics were just being overly zealous. I mean even the guys at the dealership told me they have seen some in with over 140,000 miles already and zero problems (just in for routine maintenance). This little car reminds me of the Metro or the Tracker I used to have. My Tracker had over 280,000 miles on it and was still running strong... the cancer just ate holes in it unfortunately. When I get a bit more money, I am going to be buying those fog lights then because I am sucker for good night vision! Although I must say, I already really like the headlights on my Mirage. They seem to be doing well in the visibility department compared to the cars I used to own... especially compared to our old Grand Marquis. Once I get that done, I am hoping to do the extra rustproofing using the tutorial on the DIY Section of the forum. My wife is just gonna love all my extra projects I am doing to my new car....
    My only worry right now is if this will void the warranty? I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty through the dealership (they gave me a good deal on it) and the only thing I can think of is that they maybe won't warranty any aftermarket parts I put on myself? I think the safest bet is to ask them but I thought I would see if anyone else has ran into any warranty problems in regards to this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife and I love our mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am interested in the Mirage because my favorite car of all time was a Geo Metro. I have a feeling that the same haters who hate the Mirage probably hated the Metro as well. It also should be noted that they are not keen on any subcompact car. They are just less keen on the Mirage.

I have decided that the Mirage is the car that will meet my needs so I don't listen to the critics.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabullfrog91 View Post
    My only worry right now is if this will void the warranty? I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty through the dealership (they gave me a good deal on it) and the only thing I can think of is that they maybe won't warranty any aftermarket parts I put on myself? I think the safest bet is to ask them but I thought I would see if anyone else has ran into any warranty problems in regards to this?
    I asked a friend that works at Mitsubishi. He just told me to make it back to stock. For example, if you have an Intake or have installed lowering springs, just make sure to replace it back to stock. I also have the bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage as well...but only for 5 years.

As for the reviews, it is pretty insane how bad the reviews are. I like how they compare it to a MUCH more sportier car in an entirely different class as well, for example, "If you're looking for the speed of a Corvette, you're looking at all the wrong places" Seriously?? When I watch a reviewer say something like that, I know they are just there to blabber and they lose almost all credibility as a 'automotive reviewer.
    I think 'most' people don't realize that the Mirage was made to be a city commuter car. Driving this car on the small roads/streets, it does it's job extremely well. You're not making harsh accelerations on every stop, so again, I don't know why people are complaining about how 'slow' it is. All in all, the Mirage is probably the best car out there for someone who is getting into driving, it's small, it's very fuel efficient, it's easy to work on, replacement parts are very affordable for it, it forces you to drive the car (well, at least mine does ).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)