Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New here

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes, advice, and mileage reports. At this point, I have my heart set on new Mirage SE 5-speed manual. It has all the bells and whistles of a more expensive car but at a nice price.

I agree that my location is optimal to get the best gas mileage because it's basically all highway driving. I know that the mileage of the Fiat goes down quickly when I have to drive to the city. Still it is much better than the Yaris.
    Grab one while you can. The 2017 SE with the manual is kinda hard to find in the first place and the manual option on that model is going away for 2018.

you won't be disappointed

Welcome, bolo!

You're interested in the Mirage for all the right reasons. Lots of former & current Metro owners have done the same research as you, and came to the conclusion that the Mirage is its modern and worthy successor.

FYI:
    Thread: Geo Metro roll call: did you own a 3 cyl car before Mirage? (Suzuki, Smart, etc)

I still have three and a half Metros. No Mirage yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Sounds like your driving environment/speeds are very similar to mine. When I had a base 2014 Mirage 5-speed loaner for a couple of weeks, I averaged 54 mpg US without even trying hard. And a good chunk of that was freeway driving at 60-65 mph which I don't usually do much (normally I'm on empty rural roads with a 50 mph posted limit). I just drove the speed limit, shifted to top gear ASAP, and avoided rushing into stops in sub/urban driving. If I'd applied more hypermiling techniques and a few ecomods to the car, 60+ MPG would have been easy. Note, this was in warm weather, no A/C. Winter numbers will of course be lower.

When I had a 2017 Mirage G4 CVT loaner, I averaged 50 mpg US over 2 weeks. I drove it more gently than the 2014 5-speed.

Also FYI:
    Thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

In April/March of 2016, there was a $3500 factory discount on remaining 2015 Mirages when the 2017 model came out. I would expect something similar next spring. Though as Cobrajet points out, finding a 5-speed with all the bells & whistles may be more challenging the longer you wait.

Keep us posted on your search! Have you driven one yet? Post your impressions when you do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are getting rid of the 5 speed transmission on the 2018 models? That is a shock to hear.

Although I myself would have bought a CVT if I could go back in time and do it again. Especially if you drive in the big city like me with the gridlock.

But I read a thread on this forum that said it would cost $1200 to replace the clutch on a 5-speed-manual and that made me very concerned. Because one of the main selling points for me on choosing the stickshift is that if I would have any transmission problems in the future (out of warranty I mean) that I would save big money compared to someone swapping out a bad CVT.

And lets be honest with ourselves: Buy the stick shift if you like driving stick shift. I mean thats the real #1 reason to go with the 5 speed. In reality the gas savings only equate to a few bucks compared to the CVT (We are not talking in the hundreds of dollars)
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    They are getting rid of the 5 speed transmission on the 2018 models?
    They are only eliminating a manual transmission on the SE trim. You can still get a "base" Mirage with a manual in 2018.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow! They are doing away with the manual transmission in 2018 SE models? That's important to know. Thanks!

I want a manual transmission because I like manual transmissions. I think I got a lot of performance out of my Geo Metro because it was a manual. It's not just because of fuel economy in my case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bolo For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Wow! They are doing away with the manual transmission in 2018 SE models? That's important to know. Thanks!

I want a manual transmission because I like manual transmissions. I think I got a lot of performance out of my Geo Metro because it was a manual. It's not just because of fuel economy in my case.
    If you want a 5-speed in the SE I wouldn't wait too long. Not only are there not that many to begin with there won't be any replacements in the pipeline.

Here's one that I found

http://www.leskovar.com/new/Mitsubis...a3ad172e59.htm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If you want a 5-speed in the SE I wouldn't wait too long. Not only are there not that many to begin with there won't be any replacements in the pipeline.

Here's one that I found

http://www.leskovar.com/new/Mitsubis...a3ad172e59.htm
    There were a couple at a dealership down in Portland a few months ago, and I found this one in Renton. They have 8-9 Mirage SEs, and ONE is a manual. Tough car to find.

http://www.younkermitsubishi.com/sea...i/tp-mk43/p:3/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I've located a couple of 5-speed SEs, but I'm not in a position to buy right now. I had planned on buying at the end of the year. I don't want to finance. So maybe I'll just have to make do with an ES.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)