Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New here

Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a new car and will be purchasing one before the end of the year. The Mirage is likely to be the car that I purchase. You might ask why the Mirage. It's not the price (though that's a definite plus). My reason for wanting the Mirage is twofold. First, it's the MPG. I believe that using any gas over what is necessary to go from point A to point B is literally burning money.

The second reason is that I used to have a Geo Metro that never got less than 50 mpg although it often got more. My Geo Metro was my favorite car that I have ever owned. I could really make it perform with the manual transmission, and it was small enough to fit anywhere and go anywhere. My Geo Metro never once let me down. I ran the wheels off it. From my research, the Mirage's specifications are closest to the Metro's specifications than any other car on the market. They both have 3 cylinders, both are light cars, and the horsepower and torque of the Mirage is just slightly above the Metro.

I know that 50 mpg is not the norm for the Mirage, but if I could average better than 40 mpg, I'd be happy. I live out in the country so most of my driving is on country roads or through small towns. I rarely drive in congested areas and I rarely drive where there are many stoplights.

So, anyway, I'm happy I have found this forum, and I hope to learn more about the Mirage. Thank you for reading.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum! If you purchase a Mirage with the 5 speed manual 50 mpg is easily attainable.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome! My Mirage replaced a 1997 Geo Metro hatchback in December, 2014. Lots and lots of Metro refugees here!

If you like the Metro, you will like the Mirage. Keep in mind also that the engine in the Mirage is a modern one with DOHC, multi-port injection, high compression, variable valve timing, etc. It is not the old Metro 1.0 that was designed in the 1980s. It is 50% more powerful while also being about 25% more efficient than that Geo three-banger you had.

With the manual transmission, 50 mpg is not too tough to get in the summertime. My life time average...over the course of 70,000 miles...is right around 48.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys. The Metro was a great car in its time. My 1991 Metro lasted me until 2007 - 16 years - which I consider to be not too bad. As I said, I ran the wheels off it. After the Metro, I got a Toyota Yaris because they were promising 40 mpg in 2007. I was disappointed with the Yaris, and I never got the claimed mileage. The Yaris got totaled, believe it or not, from a fender bender. Now I have a Fiat 500 which is not a bad car, and I can't really say anything bad about it. I average over 40 mpg and 45 is attainable. It's just a heavy car. My Metro was light and I loved that I alone could get it unstuck from snow, etc,. I realize the Mirage is about 450 lbs. heavier than the Metro (curb weight), but it still is light compared to anything on the market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    With the manual transmission, 50 mpg is not too tough to get in the summertime. My life time average...over the course of 70,000 miles...is right around 48.
    I live in Central Ohio, in the suburbs, have a 5-speed, and have still averaged about 44mpg over 20,000+ miles. No reason why bolo couldn't easily best that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    ...if I could average better than 40 mpg, I'd be happy. I live out in the country so most of my driving is on country roads or through small towns. I rarely drive in congested areas and I rarely drive where there are many stoplights.
    Your driving situations sound perfect for optimum fuel mileage in a Mirage. This car can pull down some crazy mpg numbers cruising in the 50mph range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm averaging between 47-49mpg from my commute (home to work, work to home) at around 60-65mph. Of course, there are lots of factors at play but the sweet spot, for me, is 60mph. At 60mph, that gauge is telling me I'm getting between 49-51mpg. It looks like a lot of owners are getting just about that to in the Fuel Economy Log as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site Bolo. If you're looking for a killer deal just wait around for the right used Mirage to fall into your lap. Otherwise, the new ones come with a great warranty. You can't go wrong either way.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome to the site. I still have my Metros, but bought a 2017 Mirage and we love it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the welcomes, advice, and mileage reports. At this point, I have my heart set on new Mirage SE 5-speed manual. It has all the bells and whistles of a more expensive car but at a nice price.

I agree that my location is optimal to get the best gas mileage because it's basically all highway driving. I know that the mileage of the Fiat goes down quickly when I have to drive to the city. Still it is much better than the Yaris.