Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disable front passanger air bag?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Disable front passanger air bag?

Looking for a way to temporarily disable the passanger side airbag so my 8 year old daughter can safely ride in the front seat without being crammed in between 2 carseats in the rear.

I cant seem to find a button/keyslot or otherwise? Hopefully mitsu atleast gave us the option!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    You do not need to modify such an important piece of safety equipment on your car.

The Mirage has a weight sensor in the front passenger seat that enables the airbag over a certain weight. I don't remember what weight it is set for but I remember the passenger airbag light cycling on & off as we drove over bumps with my daughter sitting alongside.

Be careful & drive safely, and remember that the Mirage has an Event Data Recorder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The weight is approximately 65 pounds. Check out this video showing how a new passenger occupancy sensor is being calibrated in an Outlander...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-21-2017),Eggman (07-26-2017),Marklovski (01-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also, the display above the mirror will tell you if the passenger bag is turned off.

99% of cars now don't offer the owner to turn off any air bags, hence implementing the weight sensor.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 07-22-2017 at 01:48 AM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well i am looking to fully disable the airbag becuase the word is they can be more dangerous/deadly to kids than an accident. Many cars come with a switch or button to disable, im guess by the responses our miragea dont? I only want to turn it off while she is up front.

I would imagine that sensors on/off weight of 65 pounds in no way deems it safe for a 65 pound child to be hit by an airbag. Ive even set that sensor off putting my hand on the seat around turns...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Disclaimer: You'll be legally liable if you do get in an accident and your daughter is injured. You may have issues with your insurance company if they find you've tampered with the OEM equipment.

Anyway, since the switch in the passenger seat can turn the airbag on/off, you just need to splice your own switch inline with it to turn it on or off.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Please don't disable this safety feature.

1. You'll forget to restore this.
    2. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the passenger seat airbag and corresponding ECU has the ability to scale back the deployment force depending on the seat position.
    3. The Event Data Recorder will log all this and it can be used against you.

Please read your Owner’s Manual and service manual thoroughly so you understand how this system operates. No one wants anyone else to get hurt, especially someone's child.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (07-22-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with the others. I would hate to see you in court trying to defend yourself from a murder charge.

For sure the over-zealous prosecutor will imply that you disabled the airbag on purpose to cover-up a murder.

And I am thinking if I was on the jury it would be difficult to believe your side of the story. It seems like modern society is so quick to jump to horrific conclusions when it involves a child. I think you are better off just to put her in a booster seat in the backseat.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The real danger to kids with riding in the front seats with airbags was rearward-facing car seats, IIRC. That's why rigs like my 1996 Mazda B4000 4x4 had a switch to disable the passenger airbag with the ignition key right under the ashtray. It doesn't sound like this is an issue in your case.

If your daughter is eight, is legally able to ride in the front seat, and is heavy enough to trip the sensor and activate the airbag then it will almost certainly do her more good than harm in the event of an accident.

I'd leave the airbag be. Engineers have been making airbags safer and safer for everyone since they were first offered in the 1970s.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-14-2018)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    My Space Star has a switch to switch off the passenger airbag.
    Name:  PassengerAirbag.jpeg
Views: 3959
Size:  43.2 KB
    Don't know if it also has an automatic switch. There is a sensor in the chair, as the seatbelt warning works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-14-2018),mohammad (01-21-2022)