Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This is the first I've heard of it in this engine.

Edit: save a sample of your oil when you're ready for the next change. You could send it in for analysis. If there's knock, there would be bearing wear, and it would show up in the report.
    Oh that's a great idea actually. I'll do that!

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The oil didn't get overfilled did it? The Mirage is only 3 quarts with filter. We've seen quick lube places and even a dealer or two put in 5 quarts.
    I did it myself. No, 3.2 quarts exactly. Dipstick level is literally at the very circle. Not to mention a car overfilled to 5 QTS from 3.2 would smoke like a mofo. XD

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    Oh that's a great idea actually. I'll do that!

I did it myself. No, 3.2 quarts exactly. Dipstick level is literally at the very circle. Not to mention a car overfilled to 5 QTS from 3.2 would smoke like a mofo. XD
    Hi YiffiAki,

Thanks for your post. I look forward to your used oil analysis.

I also experience the ping or rod knock at lower rpm with higher engine load. It sounds like a distant metallic tambourine sound. The sound existed since the car was born.

The dealership put in Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 API SN. Similar to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-40. But its thick as molasses and they don't have other viscosity grades in stock.

I've change the motor oil to Autobacs 0w-20 part-synthetic API SN GF-5. It is a Japanese auto supermarket house brand made by Mobil. I got it for US$1.60 per quart as they were clearing stock to make way for bigger bottles. The small 3.2 quart cans couldn't sell as most cars took more oil.

I'm using 95 RON octane petrol (gasoline) (similar to 91 AKI octane). I was wondering if using a higher octane would cure the pinging sound. I haven't tried it as premium petrol is expensive.