Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you think you have a rod knock, and your car is warrantied, take it in asap to at least have documented that it was a concern.. because if a rod end bearing goes your going to have a hard time finding someone who will rebuild the bottom end (if you can't do it yourself) and the labour will probably cost a new engine. I probably wouldn't mention that you changed the oil yourself either; you don't want to compromise your situation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine makes a piston slap noise, much like hondas I've had, most noticeable during warm up.
    This sound can be mistaken for a bearing or piston pin having a problem. This is harmless in my case.
    Rod or piston pin noise tends to increase as oil temp comes up, the piston slap tends to reduce at operating temp.
    Cut your oil filter, you'll likely see it if there a bearing /pin going away.
    Last edited by WhiteMirage; 10-23-2017 at 12:11 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Yesterday was the first day in weeks I was able to drive without the heater on full blast. And now I notice a knock or tick, I can't tell which for sure but sounds like bottom end to me. Gets louder under load, when the rad fan kicks in and it's in drive it's pretty noticeable. I noticed it ticking away yesterday as I left work and it did get slightly quieter 10-15 mins later but was always still there and didn't go away 30 mins later.

I don't even want to take the car in to the dealer nearby but might if/when it gets worse just to see what they have to say. I'll have to record it and attempt to post it somewhere on the weekend. I'm not worried about it blowing up on me anytime soon but if it's screwed I want a new one. I could make this last a year or just as easily blow it up in a week.

Mine is a 2014 cvt. I'm the third owner, bought it in November 2019 with 37000kms and only put on 3000 since then.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-21-2020 at 01:40 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There was a service campaign for engine noise. My 2015 had the engine replaced because of it. They'll try to reprogram the ecu first to correct the issue. Should be if no cost to you.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2020)

Oh I'm sure, but I've got a horrible history dealing with the service and parts department at the mitsu dealership that's closest to me.

I took them a car with a cvt that was ready to blow up, they told me it needed spark plugs and clean the throttle body. Parts department refuses to look up cvt filters cause they claim they don't have one.
    I'd rather eat glass than take my own car there but will likely have to.

And all the recalls are up to date. The one for overfueling on cold start was a few years ago I believe.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    There was a service campaign for engine noise.
    Is that one of the TSBs that Eggman posted?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

I read the latest tsb for engine noise caused by too much fuel when cold.https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03104-0335.pdf It looks like they sent out a letter in 2016 to get the reflash done unless I read that wrong. Mine was at the dealer 9000kms ago. I'd like to think they'd look for missed updates when they bring a car in but I guess it's possible mine wasn't done.

The last dealer service shows this on the mitsu owners site
    RO Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2018
    Dealer: North Side Mitsubishi
    RO#: 41204
    Mileage: 30,908 KM
    11MIZZ99 RECALL
    04MIZZ999 ENGINE RECALL
    11MIZZ00 ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSE
    02MIZZRECALL RECALL

I have no idea what that means.
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-21-2020)

After skimming through the tsb thread https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ght=tsb+engine I feel slightly more confident I shouldn't have any issues with the dealer. Other than not having ever single oil change receipt. It seems there was such a demand for replacement engines they ran out for a short time.

I just found two used engines close by. One has 1500miles for $600 and the other has 10000miles for $500 and a weekend worth of my time. Another great thing about these cheap cars, cheap used parts.
    I just bought a used front diff for my pos polaris that cost more than used mirage engine.
    Last edited by Fummins; 01-21-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The engine in my 15 was replaced at like 67K. The car was not under any warranty at that time and it still got replaced.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Our 2017 G4 engine got replaced at 30k miles. It was never made clear why. Whats going on? I thought the A392 was the strongest part of the powertrain?