Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of rod-knock?

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks

Bit of rod-knock?

Hey guys! First post for my own (finally) personal Mirage.

I was wondering, is knocking normal for this engine? Mine only has 1300 miles. However, sometimes under load I hear knocking.

It's running on 93 since 20 miles.
    I've also done an oil change. It's 0w20 Valvoline Synthetic. No more than 100 miles old and perfect level (Straight out of the gun from work.)

Should I be concerned?

I'm about to do another oil change. This time with Amsoil. >v>

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bet what you're hearing is the normal sound from this unique 3 banger. It definitely has a normal distinct sound unlike most motors out there.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Oh good. I was just making sure.

It's true I'm unused to this naturally unbalanced little thing. XP
    I love it though. Coming from 4 banger Mirages is defintiely a change. XD

I'm not sure what noise you're hearing but if it's knocking or pinging then NO, That's not normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    It's knocking. Definitely not ping. Under load, sometimes, it's not always either. >w<

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No reason to run 93oct in this car. Waste of money.

Also why are you doing another oil change with 1,300mi on the car? I changed mine out at about 1,600 but will run this for 4,500 or so. There were no noticeable particles in the factory oil anyways.

Yes, this lil 1.2 has a cool sound that kinda reminds me of a wrx

Any chance you can replicate the sound when parked and post it for others to hear?

I know some Nissan 1.6L (HR16DE) engines had rod knock new from the factory, and owners were able to detect it by revving the engine up & down within a specific RPM range (I forget exactly, but around 2K RPM).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    No reason to run 93oct in this car. Waste of money.

Also why are you doing another oil change with 1,300mi on the car? I changed mine out at about 1,600 but will run this for 4,500 or so. There were no noticeable particles in the factory oil anyways.

Yes, this lil 1.2 has a cool sound that kinda reminds me of a wrx
    The Valvoline oil seems to boil. xD I've seen it, it comes out bubbling after a drive.

As for the 93. I just rather. I'm just mentioning it in case y'all where wondering. Just tryna figure out this rod knock then.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Any chance you can replicate the sound when parked and post it for others to hear?

I know some Nissan 1.6L (HR16DE) engines had rod knock new from the factory, and owners were able to detect it by revving the engine up & down within a specific RPM range (I forget exactly, but around 2K RPM).
    I probably can. I'll see if I can get a driving video. See if y'all hear anything weird. Regardless, does any of y'all knock?

This is the first I've heard of it in this engine.

Edit: save a sample of your oil when you're ready for the next change. You could send it in for analysis. If there's knock, there would be bearing wear, and it would show up in the report.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    The Valvoline oil seems to boil. xD I've seen it, it comes out bubbling after a drive.

As for the 93. I just rather. I'm just mentioning it in case y'all where wondering. Just tryna figure out this rod knock then.

I probably can. I'll see if I can get a driving video. See if y'all hear anything weird. Regardless, does any of y'all knock?
    The oil didn't get overfilled did it? The Mirage is only 3 quarts with filter. We've seen quick lube places and even a dealer or two put in 5 quarts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)