Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Over 60mph Issue - SOLVED (engine loses power briefly, cruise cancels)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Over 60mph Issue - SOLVED (engine loses power briefly, cruise cancels)

Ok this problem started on Friday as I was accelerating onto a freeway, the onramp was a rather large curve. So I was accelerating through the curve and I lost acceleration for just a moment. I may have AC but at this point it doesn't matter and you will see why later on this thread. I had this happen a few more times on the onramp(a bit scary when you instantly lose acceleration through a curve) then again on the straightaway after I had entered the freeway. It didn't happen again as I was close to my exit and as long as I stayed out of throttle it seemed fine. I chalked it off to a weird interaction with the abs. Cutting through a curve I've had ABS activate and it acted the same way in the past. So I spend the weekend doing not Mirage things not thinking of the problem at all as it seems to have disappeared. Fast forward to this morning as I'm going to work. Everything seems fine until I get on the freeway (it's a straightaway this time). It then bogs a few times then stops until I get onto 71 from 30(theres been about 15 minutes between this point now) I accelerate onto 71 and it seems ok I get into cruise control and after a few minutes my cruise control shuts off. I then set cruise again and it works for a couple minutes then shuts off again. I think its the bumps at this point but it proves to not be the case as it just randomly shuts off the cruise control whether I'm going over bumps or not. In the mornings I crack my windows because it's cool enough to run without AC (remember when I said it wouldn't matter). The cruise control thing happens a few more times and it doesn't seem to matter whether I was in throttle or not(the cruise putting a little throttle maybe but I was not able to confirm). So I then test a few theories. I dropped down to 40 and mashed the throttle and I accelerated with no issue up to 75 and I set cruise and it worked for awhile then cut out again and this time there were little "hiccups" that kept occuring where it would accelerate and lose power repeatedly. Then it seemed fine again. It continued like this all the way to work(I work about 90 miles away) until I hit an area of the freeway that was 55-60 whereas I set cruise and no issues. I then wot as I get off the freeway(still under 60) and never once lose power.
    I also checked my codes and all I have is the same code I've had for 100000 miles almost which is the p0010. I have never had this issue before so I feel like that's not the issue.
    I added cruise control to the car around 30 k ago and this is my first issue since. The only things I know that cut out cruise control is braking and clutch(besides shutting the car off) and the car doesn't move out of the 5 or 10 mph range that cruise needs to see to keep going(if you go up a big hill with cruise on and it can't maintain the speed with partial throttle it will kick you out of cruise). When I added cruise I put in a brake switch and a clutch switch that has extra prongs to send the signal to cut off cruise.
    My theory on this issue is
    a. brake switch is going bad (im gonna swap out brake switch for old one and see if I still get issue)
    b. something in the abs is getting wonky (im gonna shut off traction control and see if it still occurs. If it doesnt occur with tc off then Ill have a decent idea where to start)
    c. clutch switch bad(unlikely but maybe vibrations blah blah blah)
    d. could actually be some engine power loss stuff. I'm gonna inspect plugs and stuff although plugs are fairly new (less than 50k). Air filter is new. I can check fuel pressure and such. Maybe fuel filter(although fuel filter should be an issue any time not just at higher speeds especially if I'm going wot and not getting the issue until much higher speeds(not rpms)).
    e. could be throttle issues. I may swap out solenoids with my old one.
    So although I have a few things to check I'm throwing this out there to see if anybody else has some ideas.
    Thanks!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I was gonna say when it's hot out with air on it sometimes lags a tad for me.
    Is your defrost still on? That still runs the compressor.

You work 90mi away???? And your car has 100k on it? Wow, one of the higher mileage ones I've heard of.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Yeah I was gonna say when it's hot out with air on it sometimes lags a tad for me.
    Is your defrost still on? That still runs the compressor.

You work 90mi away???? And your car has 100k on it? Wow, one of the higher mileage ones I've heard of.
    no defrost no anything running.
    Yeah its a bit of a haul but shes still driving

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My first thought was fuel starvation until you said cruise cuts off. That seems to point to an engine management issue.

Turning off ASC doesn't disable anti-lock braking but it should stop interfering with engine power.

It would be helpful to read wheel speed sensors, clutch & brake switches, etcetera. I would expect this info can be accessed through the OBDII port. We need to know the OBDII PIDs for these to gather and analyze what's going on.

Who has a list of Mirage PIDs?

PS btw epic post!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    My first thought was fuel starvation until you said cruise cuts off. That seems to point to an engine management issue.

Turning off ASC doesn't disable anti-lock braking but it should stop interfering with engine power.

It would be helpful to read wheel speed sensors, clutch & brake switches, etcetera. I would expect this info can be accessed through the OBDII port. We need to know the OBDII PIDs for these to gather and analyze what's going on.

Who has a list of Mirage PIDs?

PS btw epic post!
    haha thanks. I should be able to monitor some of the engine systems. I'll have to look into my obd tools that I have. I wish I had the some monitoring I have with ecmlink on my eclipse but wish in one hand you know....

If your brake switch is turning on by itself it would interfere with engine power. If your driving and hit the brake and gas at the same time it will cut the engine power. I've tried it. The same might be true for the clutch switch?
    I've had fuel pumps lose pressure when they get hot, after 20-30 mins or so but that wasn't in a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkt Ship View Post
    I added cruise control to the car around 30 k ago...
    Is this an aftermarket cruise control (Rostra?) or did you install a new steering wheel and wire in the factory pieces?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Is this an aftermarket cruise control (Rostra?) or did you install a new steering wheel and wire in the factory pieces?
    I installed the brake and clutch switch and bought a steering wheel with the switches. No wiring necessary everything was there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So fun fact.....This has yet to happen again over a trip home and a trip back to work.....I'm actually a little pissed because it was relatively consistent now its not happening at all.

Bad batch of fuel maybe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)