Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looked at a Mirage, Ready to Buy.. then near Deal Breaker: Driver Seat Headrest & CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Agree with this completely. The Mirage require very little maintenance. Really just gas and oil. Gas has been so cheap that a $20 tank should last a month if the car is only being driven 2-15 miles at a time. Oil changes are only recommended every 7500 miles, so once a year is about right.

These cars cost peanuts to buy, peanuts to drive, peanuts to insure, and peanuts to maintain.
    I wouldn't say peanuts to insure. These cars are more than my elantra by a pretty big jump and even more than our sienna was. They are about the same as my Tundra 4wd. That costs 4x as much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I wouldn't say peanuts to insure. These cars are more than my elantra by a pretty big jump and even more than our sienna was. They are about the same as my Tundra 4wd. That costs 4x as much.
    Same here... $250 more a year than my Elantra was.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Same here... $250 more a year than my Elantra was.
    I wonder why. In an accident I would expect the Mirage would be claimed a total loss easily. Also, how much damage can a Mirage do?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder why. In an accident I would expect the Mirage would be claimed a total loss easily. Also, how much damage can a Mirage do?
    I wonder the same. It frustrated me when I found out.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Insurance is higher because your chance of being injured in a crash with such a small car is higher. Personal injury is paid out by ins. company here.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Hmm...maybe it's just cheap for me because of other factors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Insurance is higher because your chance of being injured in a crash with such a small car is higher. Personal injury is paid out by ins. company here.
    That's interesting. I have yet to pull the trigger on a Mirage, but when my Toyota Yaris got totaled and I got a Fiat, my insurance actually came down a little. The Fiat is a smaller car than the Yaris.

Edit: Oh, wait, I know why. The Fiat has side airbags and knee airbags and a lot of safety features that the Yaris didn't have.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I am far from that well to do. Strictly looking at cars 10 grand or less.
    Sorry, I misread your one post. I thought you meant under $35k.

Like I've mentioned other threads, if I were looking for a small cheap car I'd get a Mirage in a heartbeat. I service 37 of them and they have been proven reliable. 181000miles on the one car. I was pretty skeptical at first but I'm impressed with how well they're holding up.

I guess I'm lucky, my insurance seems to stay the same regardless of what I drive. It only varies between vehicles if I put collision or fire and theft.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You're sure all over the place when it comes to cars lol.

I drive each of my 2 cars about 4k a year. 1 oil change a year synthetic done myself. Costs about 20 bucks a year for M1 change.
    Timing chain won't ever need replacing.

You won't hesitate to drop 4k on a battery but are talking about the tune up you will need once every 100k miles on a modern car and the 1 oil change you will need a year?

What happens when you want to go in a road trip? A vacation? Etc

A cheap gas car is far more economical than an electric in 2017.
    I mentioned the road trip, my wife has a new Forester. She can keep the EV and I could take off in her car that 1 time a year that we might not go somewhere together. Which would be odd.

In terms of the reasons. It is varied. I like just plugging in out in the garage, next day having 80 miles to use that will take me a week or 2 at least. I might actually use it more knowing it costs me 5 cents a miles. Nice to use more sustainable energy, too. We will likely add Solar and it will make driving nearly free most of the year, or $10 a month otherwise.

No tune up, no oil change, no gas, free fuel from the sun or very cheap from the grid that used about 40% renewables on our opted plan.

Then there is the vulnerability of higher fuel costs years down the road. It will be less a concern. My family can opt to just always use the EV and spend a lot less when fuel is $4 or more a gallon.

Cost of nearly new used EV car at 6 grand is much better than 10-11 grand for the new Mirage. It will still cost less, even with the battery cost someday. Not to mention, the batteries will eventually come down in price and there will also be low mileage $700 example from wrecked cars to have installed. Like many recent Hybrid owners are discovering.

I just know from my past car that 10 + year of 2000 miles a year use was not super kind. Lots of belts, fluids, seals, etc that went bad. Just "getting" a car is under the scope as a "Should I even bother"? Mine car is getting sorted as we speak, btw. It might be good enough and I will drop the EV, Mirage, etc from the possibility list. But, I am considering something for when the 2nd kid comes if we find it handy. But, really.. anything would work with so little use. The Mirage is still a possibility, I will review end of year inventory. If the SE for about what you paid is an option, or less, I likely would get it and sell my car. The local dealers want $11,600. Not happening. $10,000? Let's Talk.

Last edited by djkenny; 08-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.