Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looked at a Mirage, Ready to Buy.. then near Deal Breaker: Driver Seat Headrest & CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I mentioned the road trip, my wife has a new Forester. She can keep the EV and I could take off in her car that 1 time a year that we might not go somewhere together. Which would be odd.

In terms of the reasons. It is varied. I like just plugging in out in the garage, next day having 80 miles to use that will take me a week or 2 at least. I might actually use it more knowing it costs me 5 cents a miles. Nice to use more sustainable energy, too. We will likely add Solar and it will make driving nearly free most of the year, or $10 a month otherwise.

No tune up, no oil change, no gas, free fuel from the sun or very cheap from the grid that used about 40% renewables on our opted plan.

Then there is the vulnerability of higher fuel costs years down the road. It will be less a concern. My family can opt to just always use the EV and spend a lot less when fuel is $4 or more a gallon.

Cost of nearly new used EV car at 6 grand is much better than 10-11 grand for the new Mirage. It will still cost less, even with the battery cost someday. Not to mention, the batteries will eventually come down in price and there will also be low mileage $700 example from wrecked cars to have installed. Like many recent Hybrid owners are discovering.

I just know from my past car that 10 + year of 2000 miles a year use was not super kind. Lots of belts, fluids, seals, etc that went bad. Just "getting" a car is under the scope as a "Should I even bother"? Mine car is getting sorted as we speak, btw. It might be good enough and I will drop the EV, Mirage, etc from the possibility list. But, I am considering something for when the 2nd kid comes if we find it handy. But, really.. anything would work with so little use. The Mirage is still a possibility, I will review end of year inventory. If the SE for about what you paid is an option, or less, I likely would get it and sell my car. The local dealers want $11,600. Not happening. $10,000? Let's Talk.
    Make a fun trip out of it and go get one in MN and drive it back to Portland. What a gorgeous drive that is I've done most of that but cut down into CA.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have fantastic driving records with multi car and home owners wrapped in together plus all our cars are on the low mileage plan of 7,500mi each a year and our mirages are roughly 250/6mo full coverage 250 ded. My elantra was only 189/6mo. Tundra is 270/6mo.

So these cars are higher than a lot of others.

I think it has to do with low available aftermarket parts and how easily it is deemed totalled. Possibly safety too but I'm sure the rates are based off the 15 model which is not as safe according to tests as the 17.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow that is so cheap. I am paying $55/ month for my Mirage from Geico and that is bare-bones coverage mostly with high deductibles that I selected to get the price lower
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Been with state farm a pretty long time.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    $55 a month? I have a perfect driving record and I was quoted $90 a month with State Farm, only $7 more a month to have a nice low $100 deductible over $500. Still, $90 seems like a LOT to me. Part of why I am comparing cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Pryme you have a point that the math doesn’t always add up but I too think an electric car would work fine for city use, especially for short trips where an internal combustion engine doesn't have enough time to reach operating temperature.

Plus it would be fun to rent something splashy for the occasional road trip. This would of course save the big miles and wear on the daily drivers.
    A bit of where I am at. Though, seeing we actually have a gasser car, I don't have to concern the miles and road trip thing at all. In the long run, I think a nice EV with low miles will end up costing a fair amount less than a new Mirage. But I am keeping my eyes open for both at the right deal. Leaning toward used EV, though. We will see. Maybe a dealer will say come get this SE OTD for $10,500 within a short distance and I am good.
    Last edited by djkenny; 08-05-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I must agree the initial start from standstill is slow, but the car gains speed quick after that. I drive from 91345 to 93225 everyday and there is a huge uphill and have no issues.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    the headrest issue is due to having the seatback too upright. I get this after my wife uses the car. She slouches while driving so brings the seatback more upright. I get the head push until I recline seatback one notch then all is well.
    Note the difference of one notch either way is hard to discern aside from the headrest touching your head. Test drive again with seat properly reclined for your posture.
    As for the CVT I've owned two now and I have no issue with get up and go. The cvt "learns" how to behave from how you drive it. If you don't let it feel the urgency through your right foot it will be sluggish. If you want to enter traffic step like you mean it not like you're touring a graveyard.
    It takes a bit of learning to get "performance" from 76hp. If you are too passive it will feel sluggish with the manual as well.

Stop spreading fake info, its 78 hp. The head rest is perfect. The Yaris IA i traded in was giving me chest pain from the C shaped seat. I felt in the fetal position every time driving. Sadly most cars seem to be this way these days!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Make a fun trip out of it and go get one in MN and drive it back to Portland. What a gorgeous drive that is I've done most of that but cut down into CA.
    I am curious if there is emissions difference? We have tax free in OR and WA when buying a car.
    What made the $10500 come to be? That is a solid price, but my max too. Were they a super center, big volume dealer of sorts, and try to move as many cars as possible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    I am curious if there is emissions difference? We have tax free in OR and WA when buying a car.
    What made the $10500 come to be? That is a solid price, but my max too. Were they a super center, big volume dealer of sorts, and try to move as many cars as possible?
    No emissions in MN or WI. Yes, they are one of the highest volume Mitsubishi dealers in the country.6