Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looked at a Mirage, Ready to Buy.. then near Deal Breaker: Driver Seat Headrest & CVT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Thumbs up Looked at a Mirage, Ready to Buy.. then near Deal Breaker: Driver Seat Headrest & CVT

Maybe I did not notice in a prior test drive, but yesterday I took out a new SE with CVT (won't take a CVT out again, dangerously SLOW.. more on that).. but the head cushion was extremely uncomfortable for me. I felt like it was "pushing" my head forward, instead of letting is Rest.

I bring this up because;
    A. I am very disappointed, I wanted to buy one and likely could at a price I wanted to.
    B. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this with their Mirage, or (more likely) kept them from buying one?

I would without even a shadow chose the 5 speed. It was adequate on the last test drive I took. But I noticed when just trying to make a left in an intersection with a really wide hole to enter before cars continued, I hit the accelerator over half down and the car took like 3 seconds to have ANY response. Keep in mind I am a very very chill driver. Not in anyway a demanding boy racer type.. but it was downright scary to me.

That head rest, though? I cannot do it. I wonder why it was different? I sat in 3 other Mirages to rule it out. The Lancer was Fine. The salesman even pulled a Lancer rest to see if it would work in a Mirage, of course, wrong size.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I never felt my 2017 Mirage was underpowered in any way, but I come from driving a Geo Metro, so can't help you there. I have no idea why the headrest is an issue for you because my head never touches the rest while driving, but of course we are all different

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I never felt my 2017 Mirage was underpowered in any way, but I come from driving a Geo Metro, so can't help you there. I have no idea why the headrest is an issue for you because my head never touches the rest while driving, but of course we are all different
    Yep, it was for me. I could not drive like that. It might just be the way I enjoy sitting, upright, in a seat? I do not ride in a reclined position. Always been that way. But I will try tilting the seat back a little. Maybe that is what I did months back on one and seemed fine?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My head also never touches the head rest. I thought those head rests were there mainly to prevent injury (such as whiplash) in the event of being rear ended.

It's unclear from your post if the 3 second response time was when you were testing a CVT or a 5-speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    My head also never touches the head rest. I thought those head rests were there mainly to prevent injury (such as whiplash) in the event of be
    ing rear ended.

It's unclear from your post if the 3 second response time was when you were testing a CVT or a 5-speed.
    Sorry I was not more clear. It was a CVT. I couldn't get it to Move. I don't know if it was a freak issue with this car, but I was talking to the guy saying "holy crap! What's wrong with this?!?" The car was approaching while I should have been in the clear out of his way.
    The last one I took out was no powerhouse, but seemed safe too drive in the case of merging or moving out. It was the standard 5 speed.

Anyway, the headrest literally felt liked it was pushing my head. I wanted to push it back, figured there must be a "tilt" like many cars have, like my 92 VW, or wife's Forester. Nope, only up and down.

So I guess I am back to shopping around or just fixing up the Vdub. I might go back and check again, but if I just have a comfort problem.. then I need to accept it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My head never touches head rest either and don't feel my SE CVT is under powered either.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My head doesn't touch the headrest either and although my CVT Mirage is no powerhouse I never have felt any substantial delay in acceleration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    the headrest issue is due to having the seatback too upright. I get this after my wife uses the car. She slouches while driving so brings the seatback more upright. I get the head push until I recline seatback one notch then all is well.
    Note the difference of one notch either way is hard to discern aside from the headrest touching your head. Test drive again with seat properly reclined for your posture.
    As for the CVT I've owned two now and I have no issue with get up and go. The cvt "learns" how to behave from how you drive it. If you don't let it feel the urgency through your right foot it will be sluggish. If you want to enter traffic step like you mean it not like you're touring a graveyard.
    It takes a bit of learning to get "performance" from 76hp. If you are too passive it will feel sluggish with the manual as well.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't like the cruising style sitting position All the same, I goy in my wife's Forester and was able to sit with a good inch of space between my head and the headrest, no push forward experience. I think it would be a good idea for Mitsubishi to add at least a tilt or forward/back position to the headrests. But. I will try again, I will see if a slight recline of the seat helps.. without the ghetto stone cold chillin seating style to compensate, Heh.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    the headrest issue is due to having the seatback too upright. I get this after my wife uses the car. She slouches while driving so brings the seatback more upright. I get the head push until I recline seatback one notch then all is well.
    Note the difference of one notch either way is hard to discern aside from the headrest touching your head. Test drive again with seat properly reclined for your posture.
    As for the CVT I've owned two now and I have no issue with get up and go. The cvt "learns" how to behave from how you drive it. If you don't let it feel the urgency through your right foot it will be sluggish. If you want to enter traffic step like you mean it not like you're touring a graveyard.
    It takes a bit of learning to get "performance" from 76hp. If you are too passive it will feel sluggish with the manual as well.

Stop spreading fake info, its 78 hp. The head rest is perfect. The Yaris IA i traded in was giving me chest pain from the C shaped seat. I felt in the fetal position every time driving. Sadly most cars seem to be this way these days!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)