Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
I mentioned the road trip, my wife has a new Forester. She can keep the EV and I could take off in her car that 1 time a year that we might not go somewhere together. Which would be odd.

In terms of the reasons. It is varied. I like just plugging in out in the garage, next day having 80 miles to use that will take me a week or 2 at least. I might actually use it more knowing it costs me 5 cents a miles. Nice to use more sustainable energy, too. We will likely add Solar and it will make driving nearly free most of the year, or $10 a month otherwise.

No tune up, no oil change, no gas, free fuel from the sun or very cheap from the grid that used about 40% renewables on our opted plan.

Then there is the vulnerability of higher fuel costs years down the road. It will be less a concern. My family can opt to just always use the EV and spend a lot less when fuel is $4 or more a gallon.

Cost of nearly new used EV car at 6 grand is much better than 10-11 grand for the new Mirage. It will still cost less, even with the battery cost someday. Not to mention, the batteries will eventually come down in price and there will also be low mileage $700 example from wrecked cars to have installed. Like many recent Hybrid owners are discovering.

I just know from my past car that 10 + year of 2000 miles a year use was not super kind. Lots of belts, fluids, seals, etc that went bad. Just "getting" a car is under the scope as a "Should I even bother"? Mine car is getting sorted as we speak, btw. It might be good enough and I will drop the EV, Mirage, etc from the possibility list. But, I am considering something for when the 2nd kid comes if we find it handy. But, really.. anything would work with so little use. The Mirage is still a possibility, I will review end of year inventory. If the SE for about what you paid is an option, or less, I likely would get it and sell my car. The local dealers want $11,600. Not happening. $10,000? Let's Talk.
Make a fun trip out of it and go get one in MN and drive it back to Portland. What a gorgeous drive that is I've done most of that but cut down into CA.