Thread: Heat shield broke off

Heat shield broke off

I had a 17' come in the shop for an oil change and the driver complained of an occasional noise.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 07:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Ick - that's a lot of rot on that exhaust. Is that typical for your fleet, Fummins?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ick - that's a lot of rot on that exhaust. Is that typical for your fleet, Fummins?
    No, not really typical, only a few cars look like that one. It's not as bad as it looks, it's all mud caked on the exhaust. They don't seem to wash the bottoms of the cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Every bolt broke as I unbolted it...
    Man...you know you're not having a good day when that happens. I wouldn't have expected to need a torch on such a relatively new car?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Could be worse, broken exhaust studs in the head would ruin my day. I'm looking forward to that down the road!
    I blame the environment more than the car for this stuff. This car is from the same place that had 2-3 cars with the broken wiring to the evap canister vent under the rear of the car. It seems those cars see more than normal wear and tear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could be worse, broken exhaust studs in the head would ruin my day. I'm looking forward to that down the road!
    I blame the environment more than the car for this stuff. This car is from the same place that had 2-3 cars with the broken wiring to the evap canister vent under the rear of the car. It seems those cars see more than normal wear and tear.
    Those Canadian Prairie back roads must be pretty tough on stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)