Thread: Heat shield broke off

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Heat shield broke off

I had a 17' come in the shop for an oil change and the driver complained of an occasional noise. Wasn't very specific about it.. I started hitting the exhaust til I found a broken heat shield mount tab just ahead of the rear cat. I was going to unbolt the shield, weld the tab back on and bolt it back on. Every bolt broke as I unbolted it so it's not going back on today. The car has another larger heat shield right above it closer to the floor so I see no fear of the car melting down. This car only has 50000kms on it but doesn't see much pavement by the looks of the undercarriage. Here's the shield I'm talking about:
    Name:  IMG_7116[1].jpg
Views: 82
Size:  83.6 KB
    Crappy pics but you can kinda see the tab on the rh side and no tab on the lh of the pipe. Name:  IMG_7120[1].jpg
Views: 79
Size:  91.5 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ick - that's a lot of rot on that exhaust. Is that typical for your fleet, Fummins?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.8 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ick - that's a lot of rot on that exhaust. Is that typical for your fleet, Fummins?
    No, not really typical, only a few cars look like that one. It's not as bad as it looks, it's all mud caked on the exhaust. They don't seem to wash the bottoms of the cars.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Every bolt broke as I unbolted it...
    Man...you know you're not having a good day when that happens. I wouldn't have expected to need a torch on such a relatively new car?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Could be worse, broken exhaust studs in the head would ruin my day. I'm looking forward to that down the road!
    I blame the environment more than the car for this stuff. This car is from the same place that had 2-3 cars with the broken wiring to the evap canister vent under the rear of the car. It seems those cars see more than normal wear and tear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could be worse, broken exhaust studs in the head would ruin my day. I'm looking forward to that down the road!
    I blame the environment more than the car for this stuff. This car is from the same place that had 2-3 cars with the broken wiring to the evap canister vent under the rear of the car. It seems those cars see more than normal wear and tear.
    Those Canadian Prairie back roads must be pretty tough on stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.6 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)