Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any forum members ever traded 2 Mirages here? (Looking to trade 5MT for CVT)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Book time might be 6.8hrs but a lot of honest small mechanic shops will charge how long it actually takes. And around me it's not 100 per hour. So the job would be much cheaper.

This car would be very straightforward.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    To be fair, at most shops the going rate for a clutch job on a modern car would be about the same as the Mirage. The clutch set is generally not too expensive, but 6-8 hours at $100 an hour is a killer. I assume that is a dealership estimate...indy mechanics would certainly be cheaper.

There is nothing special about the clutch or transmission in the Mirage. In fact, it is probably easier to work on than the average V6 or 4-cylinder FWD car nowadays. To have a clutch done in, say, a 2014 Corolla would likely be around the same amount (or more).

But the clutches in these cars seem to last quite a while. The Mirage is a small, light car with low horsepower and relatively low gearing. Plus, the wheels and tires are small and light, which means they require less torque to get moving. It isn't necessary to slip the clutch too much on the Mirage to get it rolling, and that is really the only time the clutch is actually wearing. Plus, I think Mitsubishi is using quality clutch components in these little cars. One prominent member here has over 100k miles on his original clutch, and his car hasn't been babied.

I honestly wouldn't let clutch replacement costs scare you too much.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-28-2017 at 12:52 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

daleWV (07-28-2017),fc321 (07-28-2017)

Has anyone heard of a cvt failure yet? So far all the ones I see are trouble free.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)