Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Used vs. New?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I have pretty much decided to go new. I think it is the best decision for the long-term.

Wow, that is high! However, it has very, very low miles. Perhaps a lemon alert? Or perhaps the original owner didn't like it?
    I'm glad you chose to go New!! More than likely that car is a former rental car, and they Drive the heck out of those Rentals. You will be happy to get one Brand New with a warranty, that you can take care of.

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Post pics when you get it!
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll post pics when I do get it. The thing is that there are no offers from Mitsubishi in August, and I want to wait until they do a clearance of 2017 models to make way for the 2018 models.

I've decided to get an ES because I don't like the push button start of the SE. I just see that as trouble waiting to happen, and since I want to keep the car up to 15-20 years (like my Metro), I want to avoid any technology that could render the car unusable in the event of catastrophic failure in the distant future. Plus, for similar reasons, I'm not too keen on an automatic AC system. I can't understand why manual AC is so difficult that they had to invent an automatic system.

That is my plan as of right now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In my area the used prices are crazy for example they have used 2017 manual G4's used with a few thousand miles asking $12,900. New you can purchase a brand new G4 with incentives in the $10,900 range. Same with hatches some 15 models used in the $10,000 range and you can buy new for a few dollars more.

I'm considering the used Mirage again. It seems that the 2014 Mirages get better mileage (mpg) than the 2017 models.
    Careful comparing EPA ratings -- they were revised down slightly for 2017 models due to changes in the test procedure, not necessarily because the cars are less efficient.

Stricter EPA testing for 2017 model year - be careful making comparisons

Also consider if you go with a 14 or 15, you get the much softer suspension (pronounced body roll in spirited cornering) and "sticky" (non-self-centering) steering vs. the 2017 model. (Not to mention upgraded brakes on the '17s)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll post pics when I do get it. The thing is that there are no offers from Mitsubishi in August, and I want to wait until they do a clearance of 2017 models to make way for the 2018 models.

I've decided to get an ES because I don't like the push button start of the SE. I just see that as trouble waiting to happen, and since I want to keep the car up to 15-20 years (like my Metro), I want to avoid any technology that could render the car unusable in the event of catastrophic failure in the distant future. Plus, for similar reasons, I'm not too keen on an automatic AC system. I can't understand why manual AC is so difficult that they had to invent an automatic system.

I was hesitant about the push start too but am so glad I have it now. It's just very nice to keep your keys in your pocket and never have to fish them out especially with stuff in your hands etc. And u can just push the button on the door to unlock the doors. Push start is not a new technology anymore. It's been in cars for about 20 years I believe.

I have had the auto hvac in other cars with zero issues.

The SE also has lots of other features that make it just a much better package than the ES imo.

I don't like when the steelies behind the hub caps start rusting and looks terrible so I like the alloys and back up camera is very convenient at times. Plus I don't think es has cruise and the wheel is not wrapped etc.

It's s very cheap bump from es to se imo and you get s better looking car imo. And more desirable features.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    I was hesitant about the push start too but am so glad I have it now. It's just very nice to keep your keys in your pocket and never have to fish them out especially with stuff in your hands etc. And u can just push the button on the door to unlock the doors. Push start is not a new technology anymore. It's been in cars for about 20 years I believe.

I have had the auto hvac in other cars with zero issues.

The SE also has lots of other features that make it just a much better package than the ES imo.

I don't like when the steelies behind the hub caps start rusting and looks terrible so I like the alloys and back up camera is very convenient at times. Plus I don't think es has cruise and the wheel is not wrapped etc.

It's s very cheap bump from es to se imo and you get s better looking car imo. And more desirable features.
    I appreciate your perspective, and the SE has features that I like such as the back up camera and the cruise control. But the push button start really is a deal killer for me. As for the looks ... the ES looks a lot like my old Geo Metro XFI so I guess it's about nostalgia for me too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

I can totally understand your concern with some of the fancier technology on the Mirage if you're not familiar with it. Especially if you've never owned a car with it before. I felt the same way. At first I thought pushbutton start was a really stupid feature. What's the point? Just something else to add to the car so it can break in the near future? Having it though allows you to have keyless entry as well pressing the button on the door. Keys never have to leave your pocket. It's actually a really handy feature to have and I'm so glad I have it now. Is it totally necessary? No. Is it a nice feature of convenience to have? Absolutely. This is the first car I ever owned with automatic climate control . I will never own another car without it! I've always found it very annoying as I'm driving I have to constantly adjust the fan speed and temperature to keep myself comfortable on my drive. The automatic climate control operates exactly like the thermostat does in your house. You just select a temperature you are comfortable with and leave it alone. It will automatically adjust the fan speed and heater to maintain the selected temperature. The automatic climate control in the Mirage allows you to operate the AC manually or automatically. I set mine to operate manually because I do not want the compressor running all the time. Living in Florida though, I set the climate control at 74 and I never touch it. I start the car up and it brings the fan up to full speed automatically and as I drive it slowly reduces fan speed as it reaches the set temperature in the car. In the past, with every other car I've ever owned with manual climate control , I was never comfortable. On long drives it was extremely annoying adjusting the temperature every 10 minutes or so. Trust me, once you have it you will never go back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (08-14-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I've decided to get an ES because I don't like the push button start of the SE. I just see that as trouble waiting to happen, and since I want to keep the car up to 15-20 years (like my Metro), I want to avoid any technology that could render the car unusable in the event of catastrophic failure in the distant future.
    I thought the same thing about the F.A.S.T. key when I bought mine, but it has been 100% reliable in the nearly three years and 71,000 miles I have put on my car. Since my Mirage is used for door-to-door delivery and the trips average about six miles, the button has been pushed THOUSANDS of times.

Proximity keys like this are 20-year-old technology, having first been seen on the 1996 Mercedes S-Class. They really aren't too prone to failure. The only thing that can wear out is the start button itself, and replacements are only about $60.

It's one of those options that, once you get used to it, is hard to give up! Not trying to sell you on it, just FYI.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Keep in mind that all models use transponder keys which communicate with the immobilizer. The key must be verified before an engine start, whether it comes from a rotary switch or a pushbutton switch.

Myself, I find the pushbutton the simpler, more convenient choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (08-14-2017)