Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Used vs. New?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Used vs. New?

What are your opinions on buying a used Mirage? I have come across a 2014 Mirage DE with about 40,000 miles on it in good condition. It would save me about $3500 over a new 2017 Mirage ES, and it has a few more bells and whistles than the ES. I've had pretty good luck with used cars before, but I don't know about the Mirage. Do you think that it is worth the $3500 to get a brand new model?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    What are your opinions on buying a used Mirage? I have come across a 2014 Mirage DE with about 40,000 miles on it in good condition. It would save me about $3500 over a new 2017 Mirage ES, and it has a few more bells and whistles than the ES. I've had pretty good luck with used cars before, but I don't know about the Mirage. Do you think that it is worth the $3500 to get a brand new model?
    The difference should be far greater than $3500. The price on the 2014 is too high if that is the case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the price on the used car is fair based on my research. It's just that new ES models are around $10,000 here. I've seen used Mirages going for nearly the same or more than the price of new.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the difference is only $3500, I'd go for new. In fact, I'd go for an SE, instead of the ES. Yes , more money, but the cruise, etc, will be worth it. You could even wait until the 2018 model is getting ready to come out, and get a better deal on a 17. Keep in mind also....... the original owner gets 100,000 mile warranty (in the US) while subsequent owners only get 60k, I believe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

bolo (07-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    If the difference is only $3500, I'd go for new. In fact, I'd go for an SE, instead of the ES. Yes , more money, but the cruise, etc, will be worth it. You could even wait until the 2018 model is getting ready to come out, and get a better deal on a 17. Keep in mind also....... the original owner gets 100,000 mile warranty (in the US) while subsequent owners only get 60k, I believe.
    Thanks. That's good to know about the warranty. I originally wanted an SE, but I rethought it and decided that the only thing that I would want that an SE has is the back-up camera. I can live without cruise control, and I certainly don't want push button start. I also prefer the "manual" AC. So I am leaning towards the ES now.

As far as used goes ... it's just a thought that I'm playing with. I admit though that I didn't take the warranty into account.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The warranty is good peace of mind, but these cars don't really break anyway. I'd haggle on both of them and then see which one suits your budget better.

Be sure the used one has a good history (no accidents, etc).

That said, I don't regret buying my '15 ES, which was the high-end model that year, brand new for a second. I'd do it all over again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

bolo (07-27-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Used pricing

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    I think the price on the used car is fair based on my research. It's just that new ES models are around $10,000 here. I've seen used Mirages going for nearly the same or more than the price of new.
    I don't know what 'going for' means, but if it's the asking price, that is almost always quite a bit higher than the actual sales price, especially if the car in question is being sold by a dealer. Perhaps you could tell us the price of this '14 so others can comment on whether it's reasonable. I'm no used car price expert, and haven't been paying super close attention to used Mirage prices, but I'm thinking a '14 ES with 40K miles should be below a 6K sales price.

I saw a new SE hatch with automatic at the dealer last weekend and I believe the listed price was 10K and change. This dealer isn't known for putting low prices on the window, so I was surprised to see this.

I love the keyless entry that comes on the ES. No need to ever fumble with keys again. Just walk up and go. And the 14-15 ES has alloy wheels which in my eyes look much better than hub caps. Agree with your opinion of the auto climate control though. I'd rather have dials and control it myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I have a 2015 ES with pushbutton & auto climate control and it works great. Those are the features that separate the Mirage from the rest of the sub-compact class.

Keep in mind any used Mirage needs to have it's alignment checked. Rear axle misalignment is going to be a driving force in the low-mileage used market. If the alignment is off, it can be fixed and the price should be adjusted accordingly.

Good luck with your search.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The main real reason to go new IMO is if you want the warranty for peace of mind. But, I'm totally in agreement with Cobrajet. These cars just do not break often at all. So, I don't think its worth a few thousand dollars for that peace of mind.

If you look at our thread on cheap used Mirages there are some really GREAT deals out there in the used market. If you wait a little bit you can save several thousand and have a lightly used car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

The only reason I'd buy new is so you know nobody abused it or failed to do proper maintenance on it. The longer warranty is a bonus but it doesn't seem to be needed on these cars. If you do go used, make sure it hasn't been written off then repaired. Usually if it has you can say goodbye to any warranty. And beware of some 14' cvt cars have had stater/flywheel issues.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)